Broken Windows 10 - Need to restore to previous saved version

bunde1

Prominent
Mar 8, 2017
Hi,
I was experimenting a bit today with some themes for Windows 10, when I clicked on one of the files (apparently the wrong one) and my monitor suddenly went black, then displayed a solid grey screen with a movable mouse. No windows hotkeys or shortcuts worked. I rebooted, and the same grey screen was there. Another reboot yielded the same result.

I have multiple restore points on my PC, but I can't access them because there is no visible operating system at all just a grey screen. Is there any way to restore to a previous version without being directly logged in to usable Win10? :??:

Thanks in advance! :)

Solution
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose system restore - use one of the dates & PC should roll back and fix this

Colif

Win 11 Master
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose system restore - use one of the dates & PC should roll back and fix this

Solution

bunde1

Prominent
Mar 8, 2017

Thanks! Just one question, how do I change the boot order?

Colif

Win 11 Master
what motherboard do you have? You should be able to press a button at start up to enter the boot list and move USB to top. You should be able to find out how to do it in the manual for motherboard but if you unsure, just tell me model and I will see what I can find.