Revised CPU/Mobo/RAM/Cooler/OS upgrade questions

m3dicat3d

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
I asked about some other upgrades a few days ago, and shook the old piggy bank and was able to squeeze out a bit more change to update my list.

Currently I have:

i5 3570k @ 3.4GHz OC'd to 4.2 GHz
CM Evo 212 CPU Cooler
MSI Z77 MPower Mobo
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
16 Gb (2x8) Gskill Trident X 2400MHz
ThermalTake 750W Bronze PSU
A BUNCH of Samsung Evo SSD drives
Win 7 Premium

At the moment I am looking at:

i7 7700k
MSI Z270 M7 Mobo
Corsair Vengeance 2x8Gb LED DDR4 3000
Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler

I have two questions. I have my original Win7 Premium OEM CD. Is that usable on the new with the new mobo, or would I have to buy a completely new OS? Also, I seem to recall reading SOMETHING (can't seem to find it anymore) about Win10 limiting RAM or VRAM usage to only 4GB IIRC. In games like heavily modded Skyrim, FO4, etc., that was a deal breaker for me. I wouldn't mind upgrading to 10 for DX12 alone (though I'm a die hard Win7 fan-and DX12 doesn't look like it will ever arrive for that OS). I just don't know if 10 is worth it right now.

The CPU cooler size does concern me considering RAM clearance or anything else. The Noctua site give my new mobo a green check mark for compatibility, so I assume that it is all good, but it doesn't hurt to follow up on that either.

Anyhow, I appreciate you time and expertise, and look forward to getting your advice.

USAFRet

Titan
Win 10 does NOT limit the RAM to 4GB, unless you mistakenly install the 32bit version.
The 64bit Win 10 will handle 128GB RAM.

OEM Win 7 and a new motherboard?
MS licensing says you need to purchase a new OS. Sweettalk the right person at MS and they might allow it with new hardware.

m3dicat3d

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Thanks for the reply USAFRet (and for your service as I gather from your tag). Good to know that. As much of a die hard Win 7 fan as I am, I think I'm just going to bite the bullet on this one and go Win 10 for this current build.

USAFRet

Titan

You're welcome, and good luck.
Looks like a nice parts upgrade.

And for the cooler and RAM clearance, consider something from Cryorig. They have a couple that are specifically designed to avoid any RAM issues.