how to create a UEFI bootable thumbdrive for Windows 10 Pro 64bit

rocafella1978

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2015
hi all, does anyone have a guide/ or how-to, to create and UEFI bootable thumbdrive for Windows 10 Pro 64bit?
what are the steps?
what do i need to do?
what do i require?

thank you all.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
first you need to download the iso, use the tool from microsoft and ask it to create a iso file, not a usb device

once you have the iso and a usb device, you can use a tool like rufus to create a usb drive that will let you boot from a uefi enabled bios

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

if you don't like to use rufus, there is a longer method, if you want, i can post the steps to make it work

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
glad it worked for you

if you ever happen to find a pc who refuses to work with that tool

the plan be is follow some steps using cmd and the command diskpart, is very easy to do but requires the use command line

the results are guaranteed there

the problem when you do the usb is that once you format the usb, you will have to do again the media creation tool process, and that is easily 2 hours or more while it downloads the iso and puts it on the usb, that is why we say download the iso, to have available for later and avoid this step all the time

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
when you do the process with the tool, it asks you if you want a usb or a iso, next time ask for a iso, it will be downloaded in downloads or in documents folder if i remember correctly

when you do the usb, iirc it doesn't leave a iso, just a temporary files that are deleted when it finishes