Im curious about RS2-232

Kenhikyo Itadara

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014
Ok so i have a envision that has a RS2-232 in the back in there anyway i could plug in another monitor to this and allow my labtop to run 3 monitors problem im having is my plug-in for monitors is to close to the hdmi plug in so i have to have one or ther other .

Solution
RS-232 is very low bandwidth, around 100 KBs maximum. It used to be used for dumb terminals, modems, printers, and other devices that didn't require a lot of data being moved back and forth. Most newer computers don't support the connection at all and require an USB to serial adapter cable, or an add-in card for connecting RS-232 devices.

mwryder55

Distinguished
Is the port RS-232, which is for serial communications, or VGA? I don't think there is any way to drive anything beyond a dumb terminal from a serial port.
RS-232 ports usually have 9 pins while VGA have 15.
Another option for using a third monitor is using a USB to VGA adapter. This should also eliminate the spacing problem you mentioned.

Kenhikyo Itadara

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014
Idk much on the rs-232 i didnt know what it normally is used for. i even have a dvd player with a rs-232-c which i dont know what that is used for if you acan give more information about them would be great but i did see a thing online that was a adapter for a rs-232 to use plug in which might work. any more info would be great

mwryder55

Distinguished
RS-232 is very low bandwidth, around 100 KBs maximum. It used to be used for dumb terminals, modems, printers, and other devices that didn't require a lot of data being moved back and forth. Most newer computers don't support the connection at all and require an USB to serial adapter cable, or an add-in card for connecting RS-232 devices.

Solution