Ram Usable min

Status
Not open for further replies.

imsmitzy

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
Hello, I brought 2x 8gb fury x hyper ram sticks today. Because I was having trouble with ram, reserving. I also have onboard graphics, which I was told I can disable it in Bios, because that was the reason for my ram stealing. As I am only getting (2.98gb) out 16gb!!!! slowing my games straight down! What do I do exactly disable in bios? Been searching for ages and every solution, doesn't work, because everyones bios seems to be different.

Thankyou.

Manufacturer: MSI
Model: FM2-A55M-E33 (MS-7721)
Ram: HyperX FURY 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) 1866 MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM Memory Module Kit

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
there is two reasons to experience that ammount of ram

1. your mainboard is not compatible with your ram and is reporting wrong number

2. you are using windows 7, 8 or 10 but 32 bit versions

32 bit versions of those os will only handle up to 3.5 gbs of ram, most cases 3.2gbs only

please tell us the specs of your machine and what version of windows and the version, the version and the bit mode can be seen by pressing the windows key and the pause key under system type

imsmitzy

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017

Windows 10 Home 64 bit
AMD A10-6800k APU with Radeon HD Graphics

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
if you are sure you have windows 10 64 bit and you know you have more than 4 gbs and you remember tha the apu on the cpu will take for it 1 or 2 gbs of ram and still the numbers don't add up, then might be possible that the mainboard is not compatible with the ram brand you have, it is a situation that happens sometimes with kingston brand ram

imsmitzy

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017

Do I need to update my bios? How would I do that? I'm currently on version 11.383...I don't get an option to enable dual graphics..

imsmitzy

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
Maximum Memory is unchecked.

Boot Mode Select is set too LEGACY+UEFI instead of UEFI, if that has anything to do with it?

As for Integrated Graphics Devices Configuration it just shows a blacked out unselectable line off:

Initiate Graphic Adapter [PEG]

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
the legacy and uefi depends on what was set when you installed windows, ifi it was installed uefi and you made the install as uefi media, leave uefi, if you enable legacy and windows doesn't boot, put uefi only back

about stubled, no, sometimes a mainboard will refuse to detect a ram module properly, as it seems to be the case here

the maufacturer of the mainboard release information about bios updated and know ram modules to mibehave on some mainboard, i already have seen this case, when you connect two modules form the same kit and only the mainboard boots with one, but the kit works perfectly on other pc, also i have seeen a weirder case where 2 2gb sticks form kingston were detected as 2 1gb modules, the bios update on that case did not helped, iirc it was a asus mainboard

sadly these cases do exist

discard a faulty ram kit by testing it on another pc, see if it detects a different size than 16 gbs minus the ram stolen by the gpu on the mainboard/apu you have

if it works there, your ram is ok, the problem is the mainboard itself faulty or problematic with the modules

without more information, i can't recommend more steps to follow, but is what i would do if i was in front of that pc

imsmitzy

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
I had tested the ram in another computer today, the full amount showed up, so it has to be my mainboard? Are their steps we can take, now that we are certain it is my mainboard causing the issue? What information would you need?

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
if the ram works in another pc and not on this one, it is the mainboard, surely it is not compatible with that ram and reports those weird numbers

this is the list msi says it should work

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/FM2-A55M-E33.html#support-mem

your ram is there listed :D

perhaps a bios update exist to fix the error, otherwise, well, change the ram for a supported by that mainboard or change the mainboard for one less problematic

you could get a a88 form gigabyte too and get rid of this old a55

Status
Not open for further replies.