New Build won't boot after mobo drivers installed. Don't know what to do next?

kirkdickinson

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
I ordered an ASUS A88XM-A motherboard from NewEgg. With it I ordered an AMD A8-7600 Kaveri Quad-Core, a Samsung 850 Pro
256GB SSD, 8GB DDR3, Windows10 Pro OEM, and a new 500W powersupply. The motherboard, cpu, memory was a NewEgg combo. I already had a case, a DVD drive, and a 4TB data drive.

I put the computer together and it booted up fine. I put the Win10 disk in the DVD, and installed Windows 10, no problem. After install, I rebooted, and it worked fine. Next I installed the included motherboard drivers. It failed to reboot into Win10 after that. Crashes on boot and just shuts down. Bios shows CPU running temps 40c and mobo at 30c.

I thought that maybe there was something wrong with the SSD and it not being recognized correctly, so I did a clean install and installed the SSD drivers first. Then the Asus drivers. Won't boot into Windows 10.

Next try, I installed a spare 750Gig SATA drive, removed the SSD and did a clean install on the 750Gig SATA. Rebooted fine, after installing Asus drives, won't boot at all.

I can get into Windows 10 in safe mode and the Event Viewer is filled with hundreds of critical error messages.

I have installed dozens of Asus boards over the years and have never had a similar experience. Is this a bad motherboard?

I don't know what to check next. I could try to load Windows 7 on it to see if it does the same thing or some variant of Linux?

The bios date is a year old, and I haven't tried to get a new bios yet.

Any recommendations of what to try next?

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
What mode do you have the storage controller set to in BIOS? IDE AHCI RAID?? After your Mobo Drivers install, it's likely changing the driver that Windows 10 installed the disk on. Play with your BIOS settings for the drive, and change the mode to see if Win10 will pick it up, and continue the boot.

Well, if the mobo drivers that come with it on DVD are not working, my next step would be downloading newest versions of the drivers from asus website and trying to install those. Also make sure you install all mobo drivers at once, and restart only when all are installed. If that won't help, BIOS update is next step.

kirkdickinson

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001

OK, thanks, didn't think to check that. I will fiddle with it.
Thanks

kirkdickinson

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001

Thanks, I will do a clean install and try that.

kirkdickinson

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
I did a completely fresh install. Booted several times to make sure it worked. I installed Adobe reader, rebooted, installed the sound drivers, rebooted, then I connected it the internet and let windows update all its files and security fixes. Now it shuts down on boot.

Getting pretty sick of this computer.

kirkdickinson

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
Found the problem, motherboard with Windows 10 compatibility sticker with Windows 10 compatibility drivers has a built in video card that does't work with Windows 10. Replaced video card and it works.

You mean APU does not work? And you put in dedicated GPU and it solved it? That sounds more like drivers problem, not hardware incompatibility. Anyway, glad you found the solution.

kirkdickinson

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001

I assume you mean GPU? I didn't say hardware, just incompatibility. As soon as I load the included drivers, the video card on the motherboard no longer works. It shuts down the video to the monitor mid-load of Windows 10. Call it a driver problem or an incompatibility problem. Makes no difference. When I purchase an Asus motherboard that claims Windows 10 compatibility and then load their own driver from a disk that says "Windows 10 compatible", then there is a problem.

You are right, it is not a "Hardware Incompatibility" problem though. I fully believe that it would probably work with Windows 7 or linux.

What upsets me is that I took so long to figure out what the issue was. Getting slower at this stuff as I get older.