2 Computers, 1 Monitor - without KVM switch?

JamesHongKong

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Hi there,

I currently have a 3 monitor set up connected to one PC.

I'm about to get another PC for a specific workload (flight sim) and want to attach it to the right hand monitor only. Most of the time I want to use the 3 monitors with the original PC but will need to occasionally switch the right hand monitor to use the 2nd PC. Ideally I want to be able to switch back and forth quickly.

The right hand monitor has multiple inputs (displayport, DVI) - can I connect one PC via one port and the other via the another? If so, how would I switch between the 2 PC's?

I have seen that KVM switches can be used - is this the best way? Presumably this would allow me to use the same keyboard on the other machine (I'll have a separate mouse)? If so does anyone have any recommendations for switches with more modern ports? The reviews for the ones that I have seen are not great...

Any advice on how to achieve this would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Solution
Most displays with multiple inputs have a button or setting in OSD called "source" with which you toggle between inputs the display uses.
single press should switch the screen to 2nd computer (which would need it's own keyboard/mouse/stuff though)
Most displays with multiple inputs have a button or setting in OSD called "source" with which you toggle between inputs the display uses.
single press should switch the screen to 2nd computer (which would need it's own keyboard/mouse/stuff though)

Solution