Boot loop and black screen on startup

totally_hagard

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
Hey guys.
So I recently had a crash on windows 10, and my pc went into startup repair. Here i formatted my drive and deleted my partitions and installed windows 8.1 from a disk. I got an infinite startup repair loop so I literally tried 3 different hard drives, 4 total, all had the same problems. Now, I plugged in a hard drive that had windows 10 on it, just seeing if I can get into windows on it, and it's doing literally the same thing as the other ones before it. Literally all hard drives have produced a similar result. I've tried 3 sata cables and 2 different sata power cables and 3 different sata ports and still no fix. Windows 10 now goes to boot, I see the windows logo and the screen goes black, similar to what happens on my original hard drive that crashed and now has windows 8 on it. Also, my peripherals turn off and turn back on while the screen is still black. I've tried restoring, reinstalling, going to a previous build, like literally anything you can do including diagnosing with the command prompt and still nothing will let me get into windows. The only way I will actually boot into the os is if i fresh install, but the moment i restart or shut down it's back to the same problems as before. Any help would be MUCH appreciated, I've now spent a week diagnosing and still, no OS. I can however, get into the bios and here I can see all my hard drives have been working and detected properly. Only thing that has changed in my build is the hard drives for the diagnosing.
Pc specs:
I7-3820
Foxconn oem x79 motherboard
8gb ddr3 1600mhz ram
600b EVGA power supply
GTX 580
HDD:
1tb original w10 drive
500gb toshiba drive
120gb seagate drive
160gb samsung drive
And 120gb toshiba drive thats running w10 and is installed in my pc currently.

totally_hagard

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
GPU 100% works. I've had this setup working completely fine no crashes, artifacts or anything of the sort. It was running fine for about a week. I have a drivers disk for the mobo but honestly I never updated the bios, no. And I literally can't get into windows so it seems the only option is the disk and then installing the bios update if that works?

Colif

Win 11 Master
drivers disk would only help if you were on windows and even then I wouldn't suggest using drivers off the disc as might be newer ones on the motherboard web site. Board hasn't got any win 10 drivers but that shouldn't stop you installing windows.

i am not sure but you probably update the bios via a program built into bios so shouldn't need windows.

Colif

Win 11 Master
No, no guides, i downloaded a copy of the bios hoping it would have a read me and it appears its meant to run from within windows which doesn't help you.

can also update using Fox Live update but it only has versions for win 8 i think.

i download manual for motherboard and read through the bios section twice, seems it has no built in tool.

Slightly at a loss myself now?

totally_hagard

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
I've been dealing with this for so long and nothing is helping lol. I've been looking around the bios and there's no tools to let it update through the bios itself. Is it possible I can boot off the bios update CD and hope it updates and installs that way or is that just not gonna work

totally_hagard

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
Wow those are some.. serious instructions lol. I've never updated/flashed a bios before though too. Also, I don't actually have another PC I can use to download the files.. am I just out of luck here? I reset to default settings and reset and I got the closest I have been to booting in forever with just an inaccessible boot device error. Could I have just fixed my problem by restoring defaults?

Colif

Win 11 Master
So you have inaccessible boot disc error?
try this:
boot from installer, on 2nd screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type in the 4 commands under part 4 here: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-master-boot-record-mbr-windows (don't download anything)

there isn't even an faq about motherboard on their own web site. How soon they forget:

totally_hagard

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
Alright, I'll definitely try that. Now I have the original 1tb drive running windows 8.1 installed and im just getting a black screen after the bios logos (not even a windows logo before black screen).

totally_hagard

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
So, I tried the fixes you posted and im still getting an inaccessible boot device error, same as before. Ill go ahead and try it a second time but this is the furthest I've gotten in awhile so, progress at the very least.

totally_hagard

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
After running chkdsk /f
"The Type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.
Windows cannot run fisk checking on this volume because it is write protected."

Also, I can reinstall as many times as i please with 8.1 but these issues seem to stick around even with a fully formatted drive and fresh install from the original windows 8.1 disk. This is absolutely mind boggling.

totally_hagard

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
Alright. Seems like that's my best shot. I'll give them a call tomorrow morning and see what they have to say. I might swing the tower around to a local PC shop and see if they can come up with any solutions or if they can get it to boot there. Thanks for your advice.