Unable to install windows 10 on my MSI z170a gaming m7 motherboard

Olivier_3

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017
I'm not able to install win10, from usb or cd when it boot after the installation process i get a blue screen with inaccessible boot drive. I tried removing everything that wasn't needed to instal win10
here's my setup:

Mobo : z170a gaming m7
Hyperx ddr4 1333
Barracuda hdd 1To
An old dvd player for the installation with a disk
Keyboard and mouse

Make sure you go into BIOS after the installation to change the Boot Sequence so that it doesn't try to boot from the installation media.

For any other attempts, make sure you delete all the partitions so the entire disk capability shows on the screen then allow Windows to create the 100MB Partition version 10 needs.

Olivier_3

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017
I always erase the disck before trying an other installations, I also tried to install windows 7 but when o try to activated my version it says that it can't find the active partition

Can you expand on that, please? At precisely which stage of installation do things start to go wrong? Activation of the validity of the installation comes after it's done everything and is ready to use.

Do you see a Windows desktop when the process ends?

Use rufus to put it on a flash drive. Some people have had probs using that tool to make a bootable flash drive

If that mobo has a UEFI BIOS select GPT partition in rufus before you add the ISO then click on start

When it finishes, reboot then boot from the flash drive

If its 64 bit enable AHCI, secureboot and UEFI first before you install windows

If / when you get to the setup screen delete all partitions then install windows

Olivier_3

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017
Thank's for all your answers I will try those when I'll get home and for information when windows boot for the first time that's when i get the error so I never saw what windows 10 looks like :/ I'll try with the gpt but i don't see the point to do it if I erase the partition after but I'll do it with Gparted from my linux os wich I was able to install in 2 minutes

Olivier_3

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017
Also when I get to the error it reboot after like 10 seconds and show me the same page a goes on in a reboot loop until I close it or enter the setup of my bios I have the impression that windows is fully installed on my hdd but can't reach a folder needed Itried adding driver of my mobo at the partition page but it still doesn't work ... I am a little bit bored about this pc and I bought it one week ago....

Reboot from the original installation media and click on Repair instead of Install. See if it can repair things itself but if it can't, try the Command Prompt option and run the System File Checker by typing
sfc /scannow
and hitting the Enter key. That may take some time but it's worth a shot.

If that doesn't fix it, go down the same route to typing
chkdsk /r
hit Enter and that starts the Checkdisk facility. The /r switch tries to fix any disk errors it finds.

Failing both those, start all over with a fresh download. The first one may have been flawed.

I cant figure out, why this would come up. If you're installing windows on a hdd.

I get a blue screen with inaccessible boot drive. Was the stop error 0x0000007B?

If it was, this would only come up, if you were trying to boot from a hdd that had windows on it already (maybe from another computer).

And Windows was installed (when AHCI was disabled).

But someone has enabled AHCI (after moving this hdd to another system), and when you try to boot from it. you will get a 0x0000007B stop error

This will happen, because no sata drivers were installed, during the install (if AHCI was disabled originally).

But if someone enables AHCI in the BIOS, it'll crash with a 0x0000007B stop error. Which means inaccessible boot device.

Which, in English means because no sata drivers were installed during the install, it cant find the hdd to boot from. It complains with a 0x0000007B stop error

But it's a Windows error message so where does Windows find that if Windows doesn't exist?

Answer - the HDD.

This is the frustration of posting advice. We'd both fix this in seconds flat if it was in front of us but here in the Forum, it's another world.

Olivier_3

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017
I have started the chkdsk /r command and now I'am waiting after this step I'll try to install windows from an other computer and then get it in my new computer to see if it does something useful

Dont install windows on another computer and move the hdd to the one youre having probs with.

That wont help things

Sorry, South Central England. I have a daughter in Regina but she's probably as far from you as I am.

As Paul says - that will give you driver issues so it will just make matters worse. We have to work with what we've got.

Olivier_3

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017
If Windows can't see my partition is there a way to help it ? Because I'm able to access my hdd via linux (ubuntu) so if there is a driver missing maybe I can add it in a folder ?

Olivier_3

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017
Hey guys... I think i made a noob mistake ... I tought that the student edition my school was giving was an installation one but I only see re-installation process so is it possible that I was trying to install a upgrade version ?