Windows Boot Manager Issue

Talha_6862

Reputable
Nov 12, 2015
I recently installed my windows 10 in UEFI mode. The OS was installed on my ZOTAC 480GB NVMe SSD. I use the HDD for other files but for some reason when i enter my BIOS, it shows my Windows Boot Manager assigned to HDD rather than the SSD. Powering on the system would bring it to a black screen when set SSD as #1 Boot priority. To fix it I have to enter bios again and have it boot from HDD. It would then boot up normally with SSD speed. Restarting or shutting down the system would restore the problem.

Motherboard: ASUS Z97 Pro-Gamer

I previously had the same windows installed in Legacy Boot mode on this same system and had no such problem .

Links to screenshots:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9o8srcuvtrqekhj/AAAHeXmofKAxzkeQSDQK5ZS1a?dl=0

Update(Fixed): Okay so I disconnected my HDD and reinstalled the windows, seemed to have resolved the issue.

Solution
Another fix would have been to just rebuiild MBR but I bet when you first installed win 10 on ssd you had the hdd in at same time? Win 10 probably put the Boot partition on the hdd the 1st time around, hence reason it looked at hdd to boot off SSD.

I know you fixed it the hard way but have a look in disc management, you might find extra hidden partitions on the hdd still. No big deal, its not going to be big anyway.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Another fix would have been to just rebuiild MBR but I bet when you first installed win 10 on ssd you had the hdd in at same time? Win 10 probably put the Boot partition on the hdd the 1st time around, hence reason it looked at hdd to boot off SSD.

I know you fixed it the hard way but have a look in disc management, you might find extra hidden partitions on the hdd still. No big deal, its not going to be big anyway.

Solution