Can Walmart Gift Cards be spent online AND in-store?

Thepigdude

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
So I just found an old walmart gc with $5 on it. I had used it online who knows when but I am wondering now if I will be able to use the rest in a local walmart. The only reason i am asking is because it seems to me that whenever I use a GC online, even if I just check it's balance then the card will not work in a local store. I am not sure if this is related so do you think this would work?

FetchInc

Prominent
May 7, 2017
As gift cards are typically a credit card there should be no reason why it wouldn't work both online and in a store. As long as there is a balance remaining on the card it should be fine.

Alternatively you could simply call your local Walmart and ask them, or go down and try it. If it doesn't work simply don't buy the item. You won't be the first person to leave at item at the till, and you certainly won't be the last.

Ralston18

Titan
Agree with FetchInc.

However calling the store per se may not be very helpful. Best to go online and check.

Unfortunately many store personnel are poorly trained, don't know, don't care. Will put you on hold, do something else, and then say "no".

Go online, register the card, print out the remaining balance. (Trusting that your card is not one of the older ones that conveniently "expires" to the benefit of the issuer.)

Basically have some proof that that the card is valid and has a balance in your favor. Then you will be good to go.

Or make a case if someone decides/deterimines the card value to be $0.00)