new ssd trying to migrate installation of windows

mgsfreak

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
I've just acquired a new ssd and want to migrate my windows installation (plus drivers etc....) onto said ssd, I have tried cloning the drive and changing the boot order in the bios, still boots from old hdd, tried removing old hdd, windows 10 equivalent of blue creen of death says a drive is missing, all im looking to do really is get whatevers on the hdd onto the ssd, as you guys know its a pain in the arse finding all the drivers etc. if youve built your own pc, i really, really dont want a fresh install, any help would be much appreciated, cheers!

Solution
Try using Acronis clone tool attach the ssd using a docking station
Boot into the Acronis USB find the cloning section clone your original HD to the ssd

When finish swap drives reset boot order and reboot
D

Deleted member 1443762

Try the process again with Macrium Reflect: https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
I used this after Samsung's software kept giving me an error. Macrium Reflect works very well and is very popular. Also make sure the SSD has enough space to hold all the data.

- Once it has completed. Turn off all power to your system and disconnect the SATA data cable from the Hard drive.
- Turn on your system and go straight into the BIOS. Set the SSD as first in the boot order.
- Save these settings and restart.

The system should boot into Windows from the SSD as it's the only drive connected that can be booted from (now you can be sure that the cloning was successful or not). After that you can connect the HDD back up after a system shutdown once again and set it up as a new clean drive.

Second option which most people will recommend if the cloning is not working out for you is just to do a fresh install of Windows, this will also speed up your system a little bit as any junk from the old installation will be gone and not dragged onto the SSD. If you chose this option make sure you do not have the HDD connected during installation.

Also getting drivers back should not be a pain. Fairly simple process if you find your motherboards support page for drivers it will take a matter of minutes to have them all installed again.

USAFRet

Titan
Assuming the total used space on the current C drive is smaller than the new SSD, these steps, in this order:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the original boot partitions, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall
-----------------------------

D

Deleted member 1443762

good luck

D

Deleted member 1443762

If you're happy with that, then for sure... Update me if anything else happens.
If you chose this option make sure you do not have the HDD connected during installation.

emgreene

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
Try using Acronis clone tool attach the ssd using a docking station
Boot into the Acronis USB find the cloning section clone your original HD to the ssd

When finish swap drives reset boot order and reboot

Solution

TRENDING THREADS