Upgraded from a harddrive to an ssd and now neither will boot properly.

JVBeast

Prominent
Mar 13, 2017
I had a harddrive that was starting to go out so I bought a Crucial SSD. Crucial had me use Acronis to clone all the files from my hard drive to my ssd. Everything went well and after it finished and shutdown i went into my bios and and switched my boot priority to the ssd. Windows boots up until it gets to the blue screen with the clock (and Internet symbol in bottom right) then it just flashes and freaks out. I let it do it's thing but it didn't go anywhere so I shut the computer down and went to my bios and had my harddrive boot up. Then it just gets stuck on a black loading screen forever.

I have tried unplugging both drives just and just booting the bios.
Tried unplugging the hard drive.
Tried unplugging the ssd and many other things. I can't get windows to boot no matter what I do, pls help.

Solution
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB << its just a way to boot PC

See if this helps
remove hdd and only have ssd in PC

change boot order so USB is first, ssd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this PC, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
chooce command prompt
type these next 4 commands in with enter between them:
bootrec /RebuildBcd
bootrec /fixMbr
bootrec /fixboot
Exit

restart PC and see if it boots correctly
if it does, shut it down, unplug power from PC, reattach HDD and go into bios and make sure hdd isn't in boot order (don't change boot order if something like Windows Boot Manager is top, depending on...

Colif

Win 11 Master
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB << its just a way to boot PC

See if this helps
remove hdd and only have ssd in PC

change boot order so USB is first, ssd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this PC, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
chooce command prompt
type these next 4 commands in with enter between them:
bootrec /RebuildBcd
bootrec /fixMbr
bootrec /fixboot
Exit

restart PC and see if it boots correctly
if it does, shut it down, unplug power from PC, reattach HDD and go into bios and make sure hdd isn't in boot order (don't change boot order if something like Windows Boot Manager is top, depending on motherboard that could be 1st choice now instead of ssd, just make sure hdd isn't included)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS