LCD White is Different if Using DVI or VGA Connection

garrb

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
I recently bought an ASUS VS24AH-P and love it except for one problem: I cannot get it to produce pure white with a DVI cable. The best is a bluish white. No matter which preset I use white is also shifted slightly (or strongly) to blue and I cannot get rid of this using either the OSD controls or the video card software (I've tried every setting and combination possible including manual color adjustment). Some of the presets display VERY blue whites and I've found the best for me to be Standard Mode so I start with it and tweak from there.

But here's the puzzling thing that makes me think something else is going on. The OSD dialogue box can output a white the main display can't (or won't). To test I make a large white area prominent on the screen and then enter the OSD. The white in the OSD is white and stands out clearly differently from the white background of the document behind it. Cycling through the various viewing modes makes the difference even more pronounced for those modes that force bluer whites. In every mode the OSD white is different than the document behind it.

If the white of the OSD window can be whiter than any white the screen will show, the monitor is obviously capable. So why can't I set the monitor white to be the same as the OSD window white? I guess something is controlling the color but shouldn't I be able to control that somehow?

Out of desperation I changed to a different DVI cable: no difference. On a whim I changed the DVI to a VGA cable: BIG difference. Here's the findings:

When using the VGA cable and the Splendid preset named 'Theatre' the white background became precisely the same white as the OSD background white. There was no distinguishing between where one started and the other began. So, the monitor can output pure white.

Changing back to the DVI cable and cycling through all the presets is the same as before; white isn’t white. None of them. It's at best very light grey. Even the Theatre mode that put out perfect white when the VGA cable was connected isn’t putting out white.

I don't want to use the VGA cables since it's old technology and has other display issues. But using VGA can result in pure whites.

Why can't I get the same white using DVI as when using VGA? I've read through the forum but can't find an answer to this. Thank you.

garrb

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
Thank you cwli_. I'm pretty sure you are right. This morning I plugged a laptop to the monitor with HDMI and the monitor produced pure white. So VGA and HDMI both produce pure white. It must be the DVI port on the monitor since the old monitor didn't have this problem and I tried two different DVI cables so it should not be them. I'm using VGA right now and whites are good. I want to use DVI so will RMA this monitor. This is the first time experienced this problem so didn't even know a DVI port could be bad. Thanks again.