Using multiple monitors

Zeipher

Honorable
Mar 23, 2016
Hey people,

I haven't used multiple monitors before, so just wanted to ask a question. I'm currently running a single 144hz monitor but im considering adding a second monitor for convenience. But since 144hz monitors aren't that cheap I was considering getting a cheap one instead.

So how are they going to work together? Will I be able to play some games on my main 144hz monitor and on the other monitor do other stuff in the meantime? Does this require setting ingame status to windowed mode? Won't my main monitor switch to lets say 60hz than?

Solution
The 2nd monitor is just limited to 60fps (or whatever) so whatever is shown on the 2nd monitor will be at 60 and whatever is on the 144hz will be at 144hz.

If you tried to combine them into a single resolution, you'd be capped at the slowest monitor speed.

There's a setting called Borderless Windowed mode in most modern games, it looks like fullscreen, but is well, a window, so you can alt tab and click off it to go to the other monitor and the game won't minimize.

You don't need a 2ndary 144hz monitor if you're just doing videos and web browsing on it.
The 2nd monitor is just limited to 60fps (or whatever) so whatever is shown on the 2nd monitor will be at 60 and whatever is on the 144hz will be at 144hz.

If you tried to combine them into a single resolution, you'd be capped at the slowest monitor speed.

There's a setting called Borderless Windowed mode in most modern games, it looks like fullscreen, but is well, a window, so you can alt tab and click off it to go to the other monitor and the game won't minimize.

You don't need a 2ndary 144hz monitor if you're just doing videos and web browsing on it.

Solution

Zeipher

Honorable
Mar 23, 2016

I dont want to spread it over 2 monitors. So in that respect i dont need another 144hz one.

About the borderless windowed mode - using that will i still have 144hz on my main and 60hz (or whatever) on my second?

yes, unless you move it over to the 60hz one, and have v-sync (or similar) turned on.

TRENDING THREADS