100% disk usage. Clean install, new hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivyg

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014
My computer has been running so slow the past few weeks. I did a clean install of windows, tried a new hard drive, but I'm still getting 100% disk usage. I've tried a lot of 'fixes' around including disbling super/prefetch, disabling windows search, virtual memory method, ran chkdsk /r /f. Anyone know why this is happening?

Solution
if you grab the divider between file and reads with your mouse you can make the column wider and then you can actually read the entire path for the files. need to see what is at end to see what is running. Process using most there right now is Windows defender followed by Steam

click on writes or total and see if its got anything big showing

One way to avoid defender is use another Anti virus.

Are you overclocked? Only ask as CPU showing at 106% maximum frequency though I guess it could be turbo boost

Colif

Win 11 Master
what motherboard do you have? Are you running the latest drivers? Have you updated BIOS recently?

Have you run windows update and seen if you are up to date? It does it itself but there was a patch released last 2 days.

ivyg

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014

Intel Corporation DX79TO
I just updated my bios and ran windows update after I read your message, disk usage is now on 99% instead of 100%.

Colif

Win 11 Master
its possible that since your board doesn't have and Win 10 drivers and only has win 8 drivers to choose from that some of the drivers aren't working properly

Can you go to task manager/performance tab and click Open Resource monitor
have a look at the Disk tab and under Disk Activity, sort the columns by which ever (reads or writes) is using the most and look in the file column and see what processes are eating your disk. If you not sure about what it shows, upload a screenshot of the file names to an image sharing site and share link here

ivyg

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014

FtlW7j1.png

When it went down to 0, I checked the writing tab and there was a lot of processes there, but it was 0% so im not sure what's going on

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you grab the divider between file and reads with your mouse you can make the column wider and then you can actually read the entire path for the files. need to see what is at end to see what is running. Process using most there right now is Windows defender followed by Steam

click on writes or total and see if its got anything big showing

One way to avoid defender is use another Anti virus.

Are you overclocked? Only ask as CPU showing at 106% maximum frequency though I guess it could be turbo boost

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master

I would start your own thread here and more people will try to help. since this is already solved I am going to close it.

Status
Not open for further replies.