Does your CPU make a significant impact on gaming performance?

PseudoSapien

Prominent
Mar 14, 2017
I find myself wondering how much impact the cpu truly has on gaming. Is the GPU not more important when it comes to gaming? I know it can depend a lot on how a specific game utilizes cpu resources. But I am looking for something similar to a general average of frame rates.
Imagine we have a system, keep GPU constant, the CPU we change, and the average frame rates we observe.

For example, If we ran a gtx 1080, would using a Pentium G4560 be dramatically different from a 7600K or a 7700K? Would it be as noticeable as using a 1080 over a 1060?

Also, I only want to compare the same architect or generation. I am curious about a comparison between architects, but that would have a lot more variables..... I just want to see the same chips vs their limited counterparts.

harrisjb78

Notable
Mar 5, 2017
I don't really understand 100% of what you are asking since you already stated that you know it depends on the game. But yes generally it will make a difference. I would say around 20FPS difference between the G4560 and 7600K, but as you know it depends on the game.

The CPU controls the GPU's PCIe lanes, so, the CPU is directly significant to the performance of the GPU.

A very weak CPU paired with a very powerful GPU will not reach the GPU's full graphics/gaming potential. The weak CPU will hinder the performance of the GPU's max. capabilities, thus, a big impact on gaming experience. You will notice this when the weak CPU has already reached 100% usage while the GPU is only using, say, 50%. In this scenario, might as well pair the weak CPU with an appropriate GPU that is 50% less powerful than the original GPU for similar weak gaming performance.

So, CPU matters in gaming.

The problem is, CPU models of today have a very narrow gap in performance unlike with GPU models which have wider margins. For example, you won't see a big difference among the i5-7400, i5-7500, and i5-7600 models. But on GPU's, there is a huge difference among GTX 1050, GTX 1060, and GTX 1070. This will lead you to think that "CPU's does not matter much than GPU's" simply the CPU's being released are just slightly better performance from its previous models through out the years.

Gon Freecss

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
Of course there wouldn't be a huge difference when it comes to those i5s because they're just different in clock-speeds, whereas those graphics cards have a different number of cuda cores among other things.

Back to the topic, and yes, there would be a huge difference in some games. Watch this video.

http://

Of course there wouldn't be a huge difference when it comes to those i5s because they're just different in clock-speeds, whereas those graphics cards have a different number of cuda cores among other things.

Back to the topic, and yes, there would be a huge difference in some games. Watch this video.

http://

That's exactly the point I was making.

"This will lead you to think that "CPU's does not matter much than GPU's" simply the CPU's being released are just slightly better performance from its previous models through out the years."

Gon Freecss

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
You were just comparing locked CPUs within the same generation. CPUs have been receiving around 10% more performance (take or give) per clock due to IPC increases every generation. Only Devil's Canyon and Kaby Lake have only received clock boosts.

But I get what you're trying to say.