How to enable integrated garphics when the display is connected to a dedicated graphics card

debdipta

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017
Hi,
I have a gtx 1060 graphics card and asus z170 progaming motherboard with i7 6700k. I have connected my display to the dedicated graphics card. Now the integrated graphics has got disabled. I want to enable both so that I can switch between them whenever required. I mean when playing games I want to use the nvidia graphics and then listening music and watching movies I want to use integrated processor.
Is it possible? If yes how can I configure it and enable the onboard graphics also.

Thanks.

Solution
I don't think there will be any power savings when decoding videos on igpu compared to gpu.
Anyway - when not playing games, gpu/igpu utillisation is close to zero.
And impact of playing videos on gpu also is minimal - not worth any concern.

debdipta

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017

What should be the setting in the bios? Should the primary graphics card be set to igpu and the integrated graphics settings be set to alway on??

GPU does not get used when you listen music.
And using iGPU for watching movies also is kinda pointless. GTX 1060 will take care of it with no problems.
Also - to use iGPU for video decoding, video player needs to be specifically configured.
So far I have seen only Media Player Classic Home Cinema to have this configuration option.

Anyway - the BIOS setting you're looking for is called "iGPU multi monitor".
Enable it, and you can connect additional display to video output of your motherboard and/or
use iGPU for video decoding.

debdipta

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017

But I have a single monitor and I want to do this because the gpu need not be used when watching movies or doing small works. The integrated gpu should be enough. Also unnecessary heat can be avoided. If I enable multi monitor will both the graphics cards be shown in case of single monitor?

debdipta

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017

Ok then I will stay with the current settings. But is there a way of achieving what I asked ? I am asking just out of curiosity as I am newbie in this section.