Help me choose a gaming monitor

saso73

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017
I am getting i5 7600, 1080 GTX based computer in a few days. But I also need a new monitor. And this is where I run into a wall of information regarding resolutions, refreseh rates, syncs and all other monitor related properties.
Since the computer alone managed to empty my wallet, I am left with looking for a budget monitor. But I would still like to improve upon my old one, so I've spent some time educating myself in new monitors and their specs.
4K is too expensive. I will simply have to wait a few more years to buy one.
Next I was thinking "1440p or 144Hz" and according to some reviews, gaming profits more from 144 Hz. Is that true?
1-5 ms reponse time is not so hard to get nowadays, but do I go with TN with 1ms and 144Hz, or IPS with 5ms and 60Hz?

Next dilema I am having is should I go with g-sync or 144Hz without g-sync? Considering my 1080 graphic card, what difference is there between g-sync and 144Hz without one? G-sync is pretty expensive, but if it is much better than ordinary 144Hz monitor, I would have to think seriously about buying one.

My graphic card supports display port 1.4 and hdmi 2.0b, but all I see when I look at monitor's specs is display port/hdmi yes or no. Occasionally I see the info about the version, but usually it's omitted. Does that mean it's 1.0 version?
If hdmi is an older version, it will not support 144Hz on 1080p, so should I simply look for a monitor with a display port?

Solution
I've seen many users reporting high cpu utilization, running their gtx 1080 at 1080p resolution. Give it a shot, try it out. At least you know to keep an eye on it. If your load is high just monitor cpu temps.
I can't assist you with finding the right budget monitor, however I will tell you this:
Don't go any lower than a 1440p resolution monitor for your gtx 1080. Doing so will cause excessively high frame rates which will make your cpu work harder than necessary. 1440p 144hz with 1ms response time is the sweat spot for a gtx 1080 and if it were me I wouldn't skimp on the monitor. Doing so would negate utilizing the gtx 1080 to it's full potential, which would also be wasting your hard earned money.

saso73

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017

Hm, that comes as a bit of a shock.
But, sadly, I am currently not in a position to spend 500 EUR+ for such a monitor. I got a great deal on 1080 GTX and that was the reason I bought it, but it seems the child in me was to eager to see how the games look on max graphic settings (which has never happened before).
Could CPU working harder than necessary affect my computer in some bad way, besides higher CPU temp?

Thank you for your help. :)