Fan starts up after waking from Sleep

cdikland

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017
Recent installed (fresh) Windows 10 on my Alienware PC that was running windows 7. All seems to be working fine except after waking the PC from Sleep mode. Immediately after a fan starts up (CPU or graphics card??) and continues to run unless I sign out, wait about 5-10 seconds then the fan stops. I can log back in and no more fan issues unless the PC goes back into Sleep mode and I wake it.

It seems lots of people are having fan issues with Win 10 but I could not find anyone with my problem and (sign out) workaround. Anyone have a solution???

Solution
I have the Aurora... original flavor (no revisions). Luckily, the fans work correctly most of the time for me. I think I had to try several different versions of the Command Center before I got it working.

Also, a while back I had a system fan running full blast. I came on here and asked for help, finally fixed it myself by going into Control Panel / Power Options / Change plan settings (on the selected plan)... and I can't remember what I did from there. Probably reset the settings or something. Anyway that fixed it. I'd be careful messing with that though, as it might reset things that you don't want reset. The posts might still be on here, from about 3 months ago.

I think the software is buggy, or the hardware is fouled up. One or...

gardenman

Splendid
Do you have the Alienware Thermal Controller installed? If so, instead of rebooting, try to open it up and set the fans to Manual and use a curve. This may or may not help. If my fans are set to Auto, they are rather loud and sometimes run full blast.

If you don't have it installed then you should see if the Alienware Command Center is available for your specific system and if so, download and install it. Go to dell and use your Service tag and download any drivers that you may need.

cdikland

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017

You hit the nail right on the head. The problem I am having is wide spread among Aurora R2/4 users. Havent found a solution yet but so far things look bleak. Many who have this problem rolled back to Win7. My interim work around has been to prevent the PC from going into sleep mode. With this option disabled, the fan(s) never rev up.

gardenman

Splendid
I have the Aurora... original flavor (no revisions). Luckily, the fans work correctly most of the time for me. I think I had to try several different versions of the Command Center before I got it working.

Also, a while back I had a system fan running full blast. I came on here and asked for help, finally fixed it myself by going into Control Panel / Power Options / Change plan settings (on the selected plan)... and I can't remember what I did from there. Probably reset the settings or something. Anyway that fixed it. I'd be careful messing with that though, as it might reset things that you don't want reset. The posts might still be on here, from about 3 months ago.

I think the software is buggy, or the hardware is fouled up. One or the other and Dell doesn't want to spend millions replacing the hardware in everyone's computer.

If I remember right, there's also a chip that you could possibly replace that helped some people. It had to be specially ordered from Dell.

Anyway, good luck with it. I hope you get it fixed and don't have to roll back to Win7.

Solution