A GPU that can double outperform a GTX 1060

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lycaone

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017
Hey there, i'm looking for a GPU (or more if necessary) that can play VR, but for 2 people (me and my brother) in 1 rig, cause of space issues.

So i was thinking that in order to play VR (solo) you need, at least, a GTX 1060,so a graphics card that has double the performance of a 1060 will do the trick ;)

Which GPU/GPUs should we get ???

Thanks

Solution
Multi-player VR on a single PC is not currently possible. Also even the fastest video card (a 1080ti) would not have enough horsepower for this. And your assumption that a 1060 is capable of VR is not correct. For VR you really need at least a 1080 for a single player.

Lycaone

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017

No dude a GTX 1060 or RX 480 is enough, trust i have 1 and i play VR :)

I've tried VR on a low end system like that and was not impressed. I can get a 4k game to run on a similar system but it is not really any fun. NVidia says a 1080 or above is required for a single player VR.

Lycaone

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017

Well a 6600K OC to 3.9 and a GTX 1060 6GB isn't considered a low end gaming pc.

gasaraki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008

You are right, I don't think it will work. You will need something like this.

https://www.originpc.com/landing/2016/intel-rig-challenge/

I meant two different computers in on chassis (to save space)
I dont know if VR can work multiplayer on the same computer, it really depends on the titles.

Lycaone

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017

So it already exists -.-
I though it was a revolutionary idea :p

Lycaone

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017

Mhh, thinking in this way you may be right

When it comes to VR it is. 3.9ghz isn't very fast, it is average for most here I think. A 1060 is not a 1080. Bench mark your system against a modern i7 with a 1080. Because even on the i7 system VR is not just dial everything to max and game on.

I don't think VMWare or Hyper-V allow you to specify which graphics card is used by which VM. I haven't tried that, but VMs use a system call to get video and gaming in a VM is never very good as a result (I have done this second bit).

You can use a hypervisor to pass through hardware to multiple virtualized operating systems.

And a GTX 1060 is easily capable of VR for a single user. Splitting a GTX 1080 Ti to two users wouldn't be straightforward, but the raw performance would otherwise be sufficient for 2 people running VR. But it would be a better idea to simply have two separate cards (1060s for example) and just pass through one to each user.

Whether this setup would work with all the special tricks that go into VR I can't say for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS