GPU upgrade monitor refresh rate issues

Unit_108

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
So I just upgraded from the GTX 980 to the 1080 TI, and after I got that installed and drivers freshly installed on a clean install everything was fine and dandy until I took a look at my refresh rate for my primary screen, its locked at 59hz even tho its a Zowie Benq XL2730 1440p 144hz display, and the only options on the windows settings is 59 or 60hz, and it wont even save that change.

I have 3 monitors, 2 1080p monitors flanking my benq, and they are just fine, even my old ACER XB27OH 144hz pannel works at 144hz no problem, (both 144hz displays are on display ports).

I tried to do a custom resolution to change the refresh rate back to 144, but every time I try anything above 118hz the screen flashes then says no signal on the TEST of all things, and all other monitors go dark too, ive tried it with just the benq plugged in, ive reinstalled monitor and gpu drivers, and I still cannot set it to the 144hz that ive been running it at for months no problem. When the screens go dark its stuck until I do a manual reboot with the power button -_-

I am at a loss on what to do, I payed good money to enjoy this 144z 1440p display and im very upset at this stupid issue, Idk what part of it is to blame the nvidia driver, benq driver, or windows 10, all I know is the monitor can do 144hz, the gpu should have no issues whatsoever, and the cables are the same as they where when they worked hours ago. I do not have the time to play anything until saturday luckily so I would love it if some of you could offer some suggestions in the mean time.

xcrossover

Reputable
Sep 1, 2015
i had a similar problem before. i purchased a 4k panel 60hz on a radeon6850 gpu. i found that i can't get a 60hz but only displays at 29hz. i just upgraded my gpu (actually whole system) to gtx 770 and now i can get a true 4k @60hz.

I am guessing it is something similar. either the 1080ti is not suitable for 144hz or visa versa.