Microsoft Suspends Win 7/8.1 Updates For Intel Kaby Lake, AMD Ryzen CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

My message to MS. F. you and btw there are other ways to get updates ;) Again my message to MS. clear and loud f. you and i will never install your pile of crap called Win10 which is btw f. epic failure as only 25% of total Windows Machine have installed it. And again f. you MS. Btw...MS thinks they will force people to Win10 pile of crap by doing this shit...ain't going to f. happen.

IceMyth

Honorable
Dec 15, 2015
Windows 7 is the last OS i will get from MS. Any new CPU/build for me will use Linux/Mac and mainly it will be for productivity things. Also, what is the % of people who installed/upgraded Win10 on purpose and still using it not people who bought laptop with Win10.

Well this could very well be illegal. The agreement they post states the OS will be supported for a number of years yet. Them doing this could very well get the sued and I hope they lose.

dstarr3

Distinguished

Microsoft are a very litigious company and go to great lengths to protect themselves from possible legal threats. So I'm sure somewhere in their press releases and things are a couple well-placed adjectives that make this legal. It's nothing an ordinary human could detect, but put it in the hands of a lawyer, and it's a perfectly legal scumbag move.

G

Yes. As I said what they did is just f. unethical. Ryzen and Kaby Lake work fine on Windows 7 and they work better than on Window 10. Everything works better on Windows 7.

Felds

Prominent
Mar 16, 2017
Its microsoft fault... Windows 10 fails to deliver.. In certain areas...
i have a 5820k and 16gb of ram.. And windows 10 is a lot of the time running weird stuff on the background. Running a abnormal use of my cpu sometimes and my internet using 20 or 30 mbps out of the blue with 0 downloads going....
I also get too many crashes for my taste so went back to 7...
They didnt deliver as well as they did with win xp or windows 7...

Sir3x6

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014
So glad I have a Haswell CPU after last week nightmare with Windows 10. It tried to corrupted a mirrored harddrive. No usb drives or backup drives have not been working for along time or window 10 said they were faulty and tried to repair them by corrupting them. It kept trying to install an old sound driver that doesn't work through windows updates, even thou I had installed the latest drivers. Toolbars stop working and I would have to fix them manually. Parts of third programs would just stop working and no way to fix them. After Updates microsoft programmes would not work and need fixing. I have tried fresh install's of Window 10, about have given up reinstalling window 10.

So after 18 months of Windows 10 getting worse with each and every update, I have gone back to windows 7. One of two os microsoft have ever got the run right (the other XP). Everthing now runs fine.

Given the fact that 47% of computer still run Window 7 and others are still using Windows 8 (another bad OS) over Windows 10. Should ring alarm bells at microsoft suggesting that it is something wrong with windows 10. Specially after rolling out Windows 10 too them user for free. It has some nice features, but it is so unstable it is unbelievable.

I will stick with Windows 7 and Haswell. And hope Microsoft see the white elephant in the room, but they haven't for years. So little hope there.

ssdpro

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
I am saddened to read of all the people that have an unstable experience with Windows 10. I run a system with Windows 10 (Z170 desktop) and a system with Windows 7 (HM87 notebook). Neither has stability problems. It saddens me that kids today can't put together a working system on a modern OS.

Felds

Prominent
Mar 16, 2017
They already know how bad it is... So their solution was to offer it free ... To get ppl to adopt it.. They probably hoped to launch now and fix later.... I tryed to run it for 6 months and gave up

snakka-jak

Prominent
Mar 16, 2017
windows 10 is awful. i dont want all this touch screen orientated and voice activated crap. windows 7 looked great, it's rock solid, it was the culmination of every windows since 95. at my computer i have a keyboard and a mouse. i do not have a touch screen. i will not get a touch screen. i don't use my voice to search for files, and i will not do so. why do they have to go and mess everything up!! some of us dont want all this new stuff. im happy on windows 7, i see no benefit or reason to "update" to windows 10.

if they really want people to upgrade to windows 10 that's fine, but make a system that people actually want to use. when installing give two options: a windows 10 version, and a "classic" version that want to keep our computers computers. i would wager a lot of the people (like myself) that don't want to upgrade, is for no other reason than they don't want all these new "changes and improvements" windows 10 brought with it. start menu, files, options menus, in logical places, operated with a mouse - i would upgrade, i think other people will upgrade, and quite a few businesses will also upgrade.

i have an ipad, my wife has a surface. i also have a computer, and i want to use my computer, as a computer. not as a stationary quasi tablet interfaced computing thing that has a mouse as well

Felds

Prominent
Mar 16, 2017

Dosflores

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014

The OS is still supported on old hardware. If you don't like Windows 10, you still can buy an old CPU and install Windows 7 on it. Windows 7's extended support ends on 2020. By then, a Skylake Core i7 will still be a great CPU.

If you want the latest and greatest hardware, you might as well want the greatest software, which Windows isn't, no matter the version. If you don't trust Windows 10, install Linux. If you have never used Linux, or haven't done so for some time, you might be surprised at how good it is today. Much better than Windows and macOS, except for not supporting Windows-exclusive nor macOS-exclusive applications, obviously.

Felds

Prominent
Mar 16, 2017
This " kid " played with things like amiga commodore a600, spectrum, 386, and many more u probable never heard off or even had any experience with.. Your comment assumes that you acctually know my age..... Its not going to be you for sure that teaches me how set up a machine with a ridiculous comment like that...
I have friends running z97 and z197 with similar issues like mine on windows 10..
Enjoy your skynet faulty windows 10 experience.. And leave the commenting for ppl that acctually care about it

ET3D

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2012
So this is Microsoft's way to prevent people from getting better performance from Ryzen? I've read that Windows 7 gets better performance in games when using Ryzen.

I'm planning to upgrade my Windows 7 HTPC to a Pentium G4560. Was planning to upgrade to Windows 10 anyway, but now I guess I have no choice. I hope everything continues to work.

I have been using Linux since 1993, and numerous different flavors. I only use Windows for some games that require it, everything else is done in Linux

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014

I agree. I have 4 different home systems spread across 4 generations of Intel/NVidia. The laptops are very specialized as laptops go. The desktops have had more changes than I can list. All 64bit.

2 laptops(MSI Titan GT80-came with 8>8.1 and fresh install of 10, and Toshiba Qosmio X775-came with 7 upgraded to 10)

2 Self-built desktops(2600k/Z68 in my profile that I recently did a fresh install of 10 and the 4930k/X79 build-started 7>8>8.1>10).

Outside of occasionally looking for drivers on my own(which I've honestly had to do on since 95 days) I haven't had any real issues. I will say that the upgrades had an easier time with drivers but that's to be expected. Fresh installs nearly always require users to do their homework for proper driver/device installations. It also helps when you know they need to be done in a specific order for optimizations.

Am I happy about the telemetry stuff? No of course not and there's ways to turn off most of it. People need to grow up if they believe that MS are the only ones doing it. From OS's to apps/programs and possibly even firmware its on every side of the tracks now.

dstarr3

Distinguished
My primary computer is still on Windows 7, because it ain't broke, so I'm not going to try to fix anything. But I've gotten a handful of new computers and laptops for other rooms, and they're all on Windows 10. So, as someone who uses both regularly: Windows 10 is fine.

There's nothing so wrong or offensive about Windows 10 as to bring about all of the ire in this comment thread, other than it's not Windows 7. I saw the same thing when people had to give up their precious Windows XP for Vista/7. It's the same story, it's just Windows 8.1/10 now. Face it: Some day you're going to be on Windows 10, and some day you're going to be saying all these same awful things about the OS that replaces 10.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I don't think Microsoft should be engaging in this selective support behavior on products that are still contractually updated. Perhaps they can wiggle out of it with the extended support vs mainstream support for Windows 7. However, 8.1 is still mainstream -- they should be obligated to support new CPUs on it.

I wonder if AMD will do something about this. I can't see Intel going against Microsoft's wishes to push Windows 10, but AMD might. They don't have much to lose.

My opinion on this is Windows 10 is mostly fine at the Professional and Enterprise levels. The Home version is trash. Group policy lets you disable a lot of the more obnoxious features in 10 so having at least a Pro edition is necessary.

Matej_X

Prominent
Mar 16, 2017
what's the fuss when linux is few clicks away, a little tweaking using online guides, VGA Passthrough and you can play windows games too. extremely fast, OS actually does something when you ask of it. win10 is for people who don't understand PCs very well and don't want to learn anything. they just want to sit back and let the OS decide everything for them. 20 years ago you had to know terminal to use pc and you could actually make something useful. today a monkey can click on screen and get marketing showed down his throat. if win 10 was any good it wouldn't be forced so aggressively, people would gladly install it. even today every serious company uses linux. win10. my grandma like Win10, she got first laptop last year at 73. that tells you all

EastOfEden

Reputable
Oct 15, 2014
"Neither was made with current generation processors in mind"

Does anybody know what actual features of the new processors make it difficult/expensive to actually allow installation of win7 on the new processors?
They are supposed to be fully backward compatible , I have not done any assembler or low level programing for years so I am out of that particular loop. I am just interested.

EastOfEden

Reputable
Oct 15, 2014
"Neither was made with current generation processors in mind"

Does anybody know what actual features of the new processors make it difficult/expensive to actually allow installation of win7 on the new processors?
They are supposed to be fully backward compatible , I have not done any assembler or low level programing for years so I am out of that particular loop. I am just interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.