Cant get windows 10 to boot from USB device

Reaper02a

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017
Hey guess build myself a fresh computer for the first time in about 6 years and this time decided to try install the OS off a usb device. so far everytime i try and make the usb device the priority boot item it wont boot at all, at the moment i have disconnect the other 2 HDD's but still some thing no boot.

computer specs:
i7 7700k
asus Z270 Prime a mobo
corsair vengence Led Ram
gtx 1080 GPU

the USB device is a genuine USB with windows 10 home from microsoft

is there a setting in the bios that i am missing or have to turn on? thanks

Solution
If your using a MS thumbdrive from a purchase Windows 10 package and it doesn't boot, then I suggest you try to press
DEl or F2 to get to bios then from chapter 1.8 boot menu you can set USB boot allowed. and move USB as first device to boot from. save exit and reboot with thumbdrive in the usb port ASUS Z270-A USER MANUAL

otherwise
if you have the ISO from MS Windows, then use RUFUS to make your USB disk, I found the MS program to Make boot USB device is rather... flimsy.

if you don't have the ISO, but have the CDROM, then get MAKEISO , convert CDROM to ISO then RUFUS ON it to make USB Thumb drive.
If your using a MS thumbdrive from a purchase Windows 10 package and it doesn't boot, then I suggest you try to press
DEl or F2 to get to bios then from chapter 1.8 boot menu you can set USB boot allowed. and move USB as first device to boot from. save exit and reboot with thumbdrive in the usb port ASUS Z270-A USER MANUAL

otherwise
if you have the ISO from MS Windows, then use RUFUS to make your USB disk, I found the MS program to Make boot USB device is rather... flimsy.

if you don't have the ISO, but have the CDROM, then get MAKEISO , convert CDROM to ISO then RUFUS ON it to make USB Thumb drive.

Solution