Prominent
Mar 17, 2017
Hi, my build is:
FX-8350
Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0
Asus GTX 1070 Turbo
Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7
Avast

My previous graphics card, Gigabyte R9 390x, bit the dust.
But then problems started to show up when I put in the 1070.
User Account Control wouldn't show up when I tried to start applications. The audible notification would play and the screen would slightly dim like the window was there but it was hidden and the area where it would be was unclickable.
The task manager menu was just a black screen with the cursor.
Then I noticed that the start menu would stop working after 2 or 3 times of use, same with the search function.
After I was able to start up task manger Service Host: Dcom Server Process Launcher was taking up 15% of the cpu consistently only dropping down to maybe 12%.
I'm also unable to open Chrome, Firefox or IE. Same goes with most applications that use the internet.
The strangest thing was that anytime I tried to access settings whether through the start menu or through control panel I get a response like "No program associated with this link"

Here is everything that I've tried:
I removed amd drivers and software with their clean uninstall tool.
I disabled UAC in safe mode to be able to access task manager
I ran sfc /scannow it didn't find anything.
I've ran the repair function on Avast

The way my previous graphics card died was I think through corrupt vram. Textures started going white and purple, then desktop functionality dropped until I could do much more than boot and log in.
Would it be better to just reinstall Windows 10? I was hoping to not have to reinstall it to not mess up my SSD, any help or recommendations is appreciated, thanks.

Solution

that's a good psu so probably not the culprit... try running a linux on usb for a while and if it's smooth and fast you know you need to reinstall the windows os...

CzarDingus

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017

It's an EVGA 750 watt B2 Supernova

that's a good psu so probably not the culprit... try running a linux on usb for a while and if it's smooth and fast you know you need to reinstall the windows os...

Solution