Looking to fix corrupt system files

Babar_4

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017
I followed through with the steps to resolve Windows 1o, We couldnt complete updates undoing changes ,issue . After running DISM to restore health in the command prompt. After the process completed .It said the source files could not be found .It also mentioned to use the source option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature .Gives me a DISM log file location too. Need help what to do now,please
Capture_1.png
[/URL][/img].

Solution
You can boot from a USB without going into bios
Put USB into PC
from desktop choose settings/update & security/recovery - and from in the right column, under Advanced Start up, click restart now
PC will restart in a blue menu
choose Use a Device & pick your USB from the list. PC will restart and boot off USB

Colif

Win 11 Master
It wants you to give it a source for clean windows files, but there is a problem doing that. The problem is your version of windows. You are still on the November 2015 release, there is an entire new version of win 10 since then.

There is a fix for the Source thing but it requires a ISO of the exact same version you have and Microsoft don't have that on their web site now. THey have the latest version which won't work with the DISM command needed to fix the problem.

There is a simple fix though, go to this page and click update now. This will download the upgrade assistant that when run will update your Win 10 install to latest version and likely fix all the corruption as it essentially installs a new copy of windows.

Now if updates aren't working, the alternate plan might be to click Download Tool now and use the media creation tool to make a Win 10 installer on USB, and then run the update using it instead - just navigate to the USB in file explorer and run setup.exe

Colif

Win 11 Master
if the update doesn't take, I would suggest backing up anything you can't afford to lose on C drive and do a fresh install using the USB created by Media creation tool. If you came from win 7 you may be asked to wipe entire hdd C is on so make sure to copy everything off it you don't want to lose.

change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here)

Babar_4

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017
@Colif-Are you suggesting i do a clean installation of windows 10 using the Media creation tool to install the update for windows 10 im lacking ?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yes, as its one way to fix the corrupt files. You are missing a lot more than 1 update if you are on build 10586 as current build is 14393 and even it is being replaced next month by a newer version of win 10

If you have an iso of 10586 you can do this:

Mount that ISO in file explorer (see Here) and then copy paste the below command into command prompt (admin)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess
Where "X" is the drive letter where the ISO is located. Simply change the "X" to the correct drive letter

that is how to answer the source question but if you use any ISO other than 10586 then the command won't work.

Babar_4

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017
Is it possible to update the windows 10 version to what ever is currently out there through the Media creation tool .Instead of doing a clean install of windows 10 through the Media creation tool ? .For instance will i be able to update the windows 10 version i have to the one currently out there .Through a USB .If i create it through the media creation tool ? .

Babar_4

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017
So i would be able to just download the windows 10 setup on the USB .Then choose to update the version of windows 10 i have to the one currently out there ?.Through that windows 10 setup i created on the USB ?.Without needing to back up anything i cant afford to lose on my pc ?.

In other words is it going to be that simple to just update the windows 10 version i have .Through this method ?.Without needing to back up stuff i cant afford to lose on my pc.Due to a fresh installation of windows 10 latest version ?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Nothing is ever certain with an update, especially one that is a new version of windows 10. Always helps to have backups just in case... always. I have backups of backups, on USB and cloud servers.

When Win 10 updates to a new version, its essentially a fresh install. Just like the upgrade from win 7 or 8 it creates a windows.old folder and installs a brand new copy of win 10 on PC.

So far I haven't had any problems upgrading from 1 version to the next but it always pays to be aware it might not work. Better to be safe than sorry.

Babar_4

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017
Since im a serious PC gamer and i hate to loose any thing on my pc as of current .I have been wondering whether do i really need to update Windows 10 .Or could i just do with out updating windows 10 ?. If i make a back up of my system using File History .Theres so many things i need to add to File History .That it seems too complicated to back up everything to File History .I dont have any external hard drive either for instance a 500 Gb one.Just have an external USB device that is 8 GB ,What do you suggest then I do .Under the situation ive mentioned regarding not wantng to lose anything with any kind of fresh installtion of Windows 10 ?.

Babar_4

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017
@USAFRET-As i said i dont have an external 500 GB external Hard drive .Cause i think if the only solution left is a fresh installation of windows 10 to update it to the latest version currently out there .That involves losing everything i ever had on my pc .Thats a great No no for me .So i ask again is it fine to continue without updating windows 10 to the latest version ? .Cause ive been fine with the version ive had since 2015 November .Up until i realised that updates were not being installed on the version of windows 10 i have .Because it had not been updated ever since .Missed out alot may be on that .So im in a very difficult dilema .Any suggestions ?.

Babar_4

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017

So will that boot media have to remain permanently attached to my computer .Like would i need to always boot up from the windows 10 install i make on it ?

Secondly after downloading and running the windows 10 install from the USB .Would my Windows 10 be updated along with every thing i cant afford to lose on my pc ?

USAFRet

Titan

Running it as described above is almost like a clean install, but it should, in theory, not mess with anything else except the OS.

Of course, there is always the possibility of things going sideways during a process like this. And you might not know until about 5 seconds after it happens.

Babar_4

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017
ok i guess its worth a try though at risk .So should i select upgrade this pc now or create installation media for another pc .In the media creation tool for Windows 10 set up ?.

USAFRet

Titan

Create installation media. It acts just the same.
Removes one possible channel of failure...your internet dropping out partway through.

Babar_4

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017
Ok just in case .I would like to ask in advance .Will this windows ever occur during the running setup of windows 10 through the USB drive ? .And if so .Which option selected will help me retain everything i cant afford lose on my PC ?.

Capture_2.png
[/URL][/img]

USAFRet

Titan

Yes that will appear.
"Keep personal files and apps" is what you select.

That brings the best possibility of nothing getting lost, but no guarantees.

I've done several exactly like that, and nothing whatsoever was lost. But there is always the possibility.

Babar_4

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017
ok after downloading the windows 10 set up through the media creation tool .When i try to run setup from the USB .This is what happens .What to do now ?

Capture_3.png
[/URL][/img]

USAFRet

Titan

Boot from the USB...not run Setup from inside the currently running OS.