finding OLD windows 10 product key

itstopsecret

Reputable
Jan 10, 2016
i recently changed some hardware in my computer ( CPU, mobo, and RAM, also added an ssd) and since windows product keys are tied to the motherboard, I lost mine. I have contacted microsoft support and nobody has been able to help me. I was given a key by someone that i talked to at microsoft support, and it is invalid. I was wondering if there is a way to find my original product key, because this new one does not work. everything that I have tried has just given me the new key that wont work.

Solution
Can you still use old PC? If so, do this on it and then follow same steps on new PC and you can move licence over - Reactivating licence on new hardware

did you use same email address you used to register win 10 on old PC? Did you upgrade from win 7 or 8 as that key might be helpful.

Did you get the Microsoft number from settings/update & security/activation? there should be contact details here, I would have thought if you used same email address and had old sticker, they would move the licence for you

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you still use old PC? If so, do this on it and then follow same steps on new PC and you can move licence over - Reactivating licence on new hardware

did you use same email address you used to register win 10 on old PC? Did you upgrade from win 7 or 8 as that key might be helpful.

Did you get the Microsoft number from settings/update & security/activation? there should be contact details here, I would have thought if you used same email address and had old sticker, they would move the licence for you

Solution

itstopsecret

Reputable
Jan 10, 2016

i tried but my old pc wouldnt work, i may try again though if this would work.