(HELP) Command Prompt Pop Up - WinUpdater.exe Virus

AndreiF

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017
On February of this year, I was acting stupid and tried to download something off of a fishy site. Turns out, after downloading and running that, a virus came in that I have had a hard time trying to remove it. The virus is called "winupdater.exe". It's also hidden in my System32, (I think). But it's not really affecting my PC at all, it's just annoying since a command prompt pops up every single 60 seconds. Also, when I restart or turn on my PC, the command prompt is usually there so I pinned it to my task bar and then when I hover over it, it says "Microsoft .NET Assembly Registration Utility". So in case you have a solution or anything that might help me, please let me know.

Solution
If you can get trojan remover .

Update it click on scan. If it finds entries for that file, tell it to remove it

If you cant get it in normal windows boot into safe mode / networking and get it

Once you do the above, select all the entries under utilities, so it resets everything

And yes it's safe I'm a reg user of it

AndreiF

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017

I went into safe mode, then went where the winupdater.exe thing was located, Local Disk (C:) > ProgramData > Client, and it's located there, I tried deleting it in normal and safe mode but it told me "You need permission to perform this action". A weird thing about that is when I do try to go in my C drive, then look for ProgramData, it's not there.

AndreiF

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017

Thanks, that actually fixed it!!!