Computer is loading something while idle

ChennyBoi

Reputable
Mar 18, 2017
I've been having this problem for over 3 months or so now. The problem is that chrome ( I think ) would first spike up my CPU and then create 2 or 3 new processes which would result in my cursor signalling that I'm loading something (not the full circle load, but the cursor and small circle). I haven't noticed anything actually becoming slower or feel anything happen during these times but it is really distracting when it loads something in the middle of a video or anything really and I'm not doing anything. The imgur gallery will be screenshots about the occurrence.

http://imgur.com/a/azgCt

1. First screenshot is during/right after my cursor is loading. I highlighted all the chrome processes before the occurrence happens and then in the screenshot you can see that there are 2 more processes that are opened.

2. Second screenshot soon after when I've noticed that the chrome processes got terminated and this also includes another process that I'm not sure when it got created.

3. Last screenshot of the moment of when my cursor is loading with my processes sorted at most CPU used. As you can see, chrome spikes with me doing nothing to it.

PS: I've also noticed that I get random spikes to 100 and sometimes below that as well, I'm also not sure what these are but they don't make my pointer load so I don't care as much

Solution
I would download Process explorer - below - and see if it gives any more clues. Its an OP version of Task Manager and I use it to figure out ram problems mostly but might help here too as activity might not be chrome

Download Process explorer and run it as admin (it comes from Microsoft so its safe)

the default view is tree structure meaning like your task manager screen, it will show what processes are under each service, but unlike the other one, it shows the CPU/ram usage of each part so you can see what is causiing the activity

Private bytes = actual ram usage
Working set = Ram + page file usage

This page shows what all the colours and headings mean, link at bottom of it shows how to use it to find problems. You can...

Colif

Win 11 Master
how many tabs do you normally have open? What add ons have you got installed in Chrome - as they each have a process.

you can use the Task manager built into Chrome to see whats actually happening
Chrome OS and Windows: Click on the Chrome menu button, located in the upper right-hand corner of your browser window and represented by three horizontal lines. When the drop-down menu appears, hover your mouse over the More tools option. When the sub-menu appears, click on the option labeled Task manager.
https://www.lifewire.com/using-task-manager-in-chrome-446159

that might help you figure out whats using PC during idle

ChennyBoi

Reputable
Mar 18, 2017

It doesn't matter how many tabs I have open, it does it regardless if I have little or a lot, the only extension i have is adblock and the default google docs etc.

ChennyBoi

Reputable
Mar 18, 2017

Nope, I reinstalled it and also set it all to default. I also tried running without any extensions for a little while but still nothing. I've also tried scanning my computer for any malware or viruses, nothing is coming up

Colif

Win 11 Master
I would download Process explorer - below - and see if it gives any more clues. Its an OP version of Task Manager and I use it to figure out ram problems mostly but might help here too as activity might not be chrome

Download Process explorer and run it as admin (it comes from Microsoft so its safe)

the default view is tree structure meaning like your task manager screen, it will show what processes are under each service, but unlike the other one, it shows the CPU/ram usage of each part so you can see what is causiing the activity

Private bytes = actual ram usage
Working set = Ram + page file usage

This page shows what all the colours and headings mean, link at bottom of it shows how to use it to find problems. You can right click headers and run an av scan from within the program.

Solution