CPU Incompatible with motherboard.

EdgyPotato

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017
So i just bought a new CPU, i upgraded from an AMD FX6300 to an AMD FX8350. Now in the past i was looking to upgrade my motherboard because it maxed out ram at 11GB, and when i was looking at one i wanted to buy i saw it was compatible with the FX8350 which is why i got mixed up and thought my current motherbaord was compatible with the CPU too. I have a
Gigabyte GA-78lmt-s2 Now I've already read that the two aren't compatible because the 8350 uses too many volts or something. I'm just curious to know what would happen if i used the 8350 anyway, I can return it no problem i got it off amazon and it was just delivered today. I saw some people saying the CPU was being underclocked by itself to make it run on the motherboard, so would that mean its safe to use? Also how much performance would you lose from that, would it then be on par with an 8300, or would it be lowered beyond that?

vvacenovski

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017
That CPU needs motherboard which supports 125W CPUs. Using this board with FX8350 would be bad idea. Not because hardware may get damaged, but because even at slight multi-core load, your CPU will work much worse than a current one. Board does not provide enough juice for all the cores under load.