Can't Automatically Install Updates for ANYTHING (Errors 0x800706ba and 0x800706be)

MrMercyGG

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016
For a few months now, my PC (see link for component list) has been giving me all kinds of problems ever since it overheated and kept crashing. I've since fixed that problem, but there has been more problems arising from that. It was determined that much of my software issues since that problem was fixed might be from the motherboard being damaged in some way. I looked at the motherboard and couldn't see any damage, but maybe there's something wrong with the circuitry that I don't see. Anyway, the particular one I'm here to ask about is fairly new, having only started to occur just a small handful of months ago, so it may not be related to the previous issues at all.

Windows can no longer update anything automatically. If I want something updated, I have to track down the update and install it manually. In my notifications center, whenever I boot up my PC, I get a message telling me that Windows can't install updates. When I go to it, it takes me to the updates tab of my settings and gives me this:

24obtah.jpg

Seemingly all the 3rd party software gets Error 0x800706be and all the 1st party software gets Error 0x800706ba. Like I said, if I manually hunt down the updates, at least for the 3rd party software, it will update when I manually intsall it, but nothing works automatically and I can't seem to update any of the 1st party stuff.

Please let me know what I can do to fix this. Thanks.

Solution
FINALLY. ITS FIXED.

I got a new hard drive, installed windows on it and POOF. PROBLEM FIXED. So yes, it was something corrupted on my hard drive causing that error, probably something having to do with the way the tech person took control of my PC that one time.

So if you are getting this error, a new hard drive will solve your problem. Just be sure to back up your stuff beforehand.

if someone can quote this post so I can post it as the solution, id appreciate it. I can't choose my own posts as the solution.
It's possible that it's trying to install drivers when drivers have already been installed And obviously they fail

I had a similar prob when it kept trying to install Canon printer drivers, straight after I had installed them from the Canon site (cant remember if it was the same error tho)

And you wont be able to get windows updates if the driver updates keep failing

I would get wushowhide run it click on hide, then select those drivers and hide them. Then they wont try to install again

That was the only way I could stop windows update from installing my drivers

MrMercyGG

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016

I don't think it's that because I just tried to install WinCDEmu, a brand new program that I've never had on my PC, and ran into the same error. Can't install driver. Error 800706be.

MrMercyGG

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016
FINALLY. ITS FIXED.

I got a new hard drive, installed windows on it and POOF. PROBLEM FIXED. So yes, it was something corrupted on my hard drive causing that error, probably something having to do with the way the tech person took control of my PC that one time.

So if you are getting this error, a new hard drive will solve your problem. Just be sure to back up your stuff beforehand.

if someone can quote this post so I can post it as the solution, id appreciate it. I can't choose my own posts as the solution.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS