GPU display is not working! Monitor on standby. Help!

Kougami

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017
Hi there, my computer has always worked up until two days ago when the monitor would remain in a standby/energy saving mode even when plugged into the GPU and turned on. This was very strange to me. (this monitor is an old one, but it still works after testing it - it uses those dsub blue cables, one end of which I hook up into a converter to plug into the GPU's vga port).

So anyway. I find this super strange, I look inside the computer and I see everything is still plugged in and nothing is loose. So after a lot of reading on the internet, I tried out the idea of taking out the PSU cables from the GPU and hooking up my monitor directly to my MOBO's integrated display - boom the monitor turns on - eliminating both the monitor and cables from being faulty. I needed to take the PSU cable out of the GPU because otherwise the MOBO graphics wouldn't run, I guess it would be overriden by the GPU which tells me that the motherboard must detect the GPU whilst it's plugged in.

Anyway, I login and I don't really know what to do. I followed some people's advice of going into my BIOS - under graphic configuration I changed it from Auto to PCIE, but that doesn't really do much - in fact it resets back to Auto as soon as I save & reset (maybe because I leave the monitor still hooked onto the MOBO and GPU off? Because other setting changes saved). I also reset the BIOS settings to default, to no avail.

Then I read it could be an issue with the drivers. I download some recommended software which helped me delete all the software for my AMD drivers - now all I see in device manager is my intel graphics 4000 (and this is to be expected since I'm hooked onto my mobo). Anyway, I try to reinstall the AMD drivers - but here's the issue - If I'm using my motherboard graphics in order to see...my GPU is not detected by my PC and so the AMD installer gives me error like "No AMD hardware was detected on this computer". If I go to use my GPU, I won't be able to see my monitor so it's pretty much impossible to reinstall the drivers that way.

So pretty much right now, all I can do is use computer like any normal PC without my graphics card. What do I do? The graphics card's fans DO move when they're plugged in, although they don't make much of a sound so I suspected that maybe the PSU is playing up? But then how do I even check the PSU to my dedicated graphics card?

Here are the relevant specs:

Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v lx
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon 7950 (7900 series)
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium