Transfer Windows 10 Pro to a new PC build?

DrZepto

Reputable
Jul 22, 2014
Hello, I've recently been looking into getting a new PC build but want to keep my current Windows 10 Pro license.

Currently, the info I have is:

• 1. Was upgraded from a Windows 8.1 Pro key (if I remember correctly, it is a retail copy/non-OEM)
    2. Windows 10 activation says its connected to my Microsoft account

What I want to do is get a new PC build (all new parts) with a 500GB SSD and install Windows 10 using my previous license. Is that possible?

From what I've researched so far, it is really mixed and not clear at all. Some users say its possible but others say you need a new license.

Thanks for reading :)

Solution
Basically, in the new system, it will fail to activate after the fresh install on the new hardware.
This is when you go through the Activation Troubleshooter, log on to your MS account, and tell it "I'm using THIS PC"

For Win 10, the line between OEM and Retail is blurred.
You CAN activate an OEM license on new hardware, if you follow the linked steps above.
A Retail license should activate no problem, with or without linking to a MS account.

IceMyth

Honorable
Dec 15, 2015
Hi,

The problem in the OEM version where it is licensed to the companies such as Dell, HP,...etcs since it is sold to them and any support for windows license is asked to them not MS.

Retail copy you own the license so you are free to do what you want, just make sure it is installed on a single machine only, also since you upgraded to Windows 10 then you can install Win8 then upgrade to Win10 for free.

About connected to your account, I assume you didnt create a local account and had it connect to Hotmail/outlook/live email account which kinda sync your calendar, address book...etc.

Regards,

DrZepto

Reputable
Jul 22, 2014

Yeah, I connected it to my actual Microsoft account that is the user I installed Windows 10 with. Didn't use any local account things and I know this because the same login works for my Xbox.

How would I transfer my Windows 10 license to a new PC? Am I right in thinking that I use the USB boot drive, at some point sign in with my Microsoft account and then it'll activate my license on the new PC meanwhile deactivating it on the old build?

USAFRet

Titan

Read and do this:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3164428/windows-build-1607-activation.html

USAFRet

Titan
Basically, in the new system, it will fail to activate after the fresh install on the new hardware.
This is when you go through the Activation Troubleshooter, log on to your MS account, and tell it "I'm using THIS PC"

For Win 10, the line between OEM and Retail is blurred.
You CAN activate an OEM license on new hardware, if you follow the linked steps above.
A Retail license should activate no problem, with or without linking to a MS account.

Solution

DrZepto

Reputable
Jul 22, 2014

Was just about to ask about what you explained in your first reply. Thanks for clearing that up :)