Monitor input lag relation with max fps?

BrunoTacca

Prominent
Mar 20, 2017
Hello,

Nice to be a part of this community, been checking topics here everytime.

I've been searching a little about input lag cause I want to buy a TV for gaming and movies... (FPS games, MMOs and Mobas).

The one question I m confused right now, is...
Does input lag limits your max real FPS?

I mean, if I buy a TV with 20ms input lag, will I be limitting my FPS to 50 fps?
(20ms = 1000ms/20ms = 50fps)

Cause, I dont know if input lag works that way, one frame after another is done, syncronized, meaning the next frame will only be processed after the previous is complete...
Or if it works in an "asyncronous" way... the next frame is already being processed while the previous frame is almost done to be shown... using like a cache for the queue idk...

And even further, assuming that the input lag limits my fps, whats the point to buy higher refresh rates monitors? I mean...
20ms = 50 fps = 50 Hz.
16,6ms = 60fps = 60 Hz.
11ms = 90fps = 90 Hz.
8,3ms = 120fps = 120 Hz.
6,9ms = 144fps = 144 Hz.

Cause I looked over some comparison between the input lag gaming monitors and tv... and the gaming monitor with the lowest input I could find was 9ms with 75Hz/60Hz, and 10ms for 144Hz... which would not make sense.

Thank you guys so much.

Solution
Input lag doesn't impact fps. Input lag and how I see it is the time it takes for your input devices (AKA Keyboard & Mouse) output to be visually seen on display. To better mitigate/reduce input lag, a display with low millisecond response time is necessary. This is why high resolution television displays are not optimal for computer gaming, as their input lag is poor due to high millisecond response time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIT0ng7Hbqg
Input lag doesn't impact fps. Input lag and how I see it is the time it takes for your input devices (AKA Keyboard & Mouse) output to be visually seen on display. To better mitigate/reduce input lag, a display with low millisecond response time is necessary. This is why high resolution television displays are not optimal for computer gaming, as their input lag is poor due to high millisecond response time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIT0ng7Hbqg

Solution