How does microsoft's licencing work in regards to hardware change ?

jimmyEatWord

Respectable
Mar 10, 2016
i bought a win 10 key from a third party (and not directly from microsoft) when it was launched and i think it's an MSDN key , cause i changed some of my hardware afterwards , my cpu , mb and so on , the key didn't work at first but after a couple of times reformatting and reinstalling windows it activated again but it only activates on my 60 gb ssd that i had before and not on my other drives ; so now i bought a new mainboard again , some other stuff and a 240 gb ssd too ; do you think i'll be able to activate it on my new ssd ?! is there a way to contact microsoft and verify with them that i'm the owner ?

If you bought not the OEM the license, you should be able to activate Win10 right away, if you change the mobo and/or the processor.
If you bought the OEM license, you can reactivate it but this depends on the country where you live.
In some countries you can reactivate Windows OEM licenses by calling Micorosoft support (activation via phone call). Prepare your license number, proof of purchase, etc. before you call, they will ask you for this.

jimmyEatWord

Respectable
Mar 10, 2016

no , it's definitely not an OEM ! i paid a heck of a lot for it i think it's an MSDN ; like i told you the last time i upgraded my pc it had issues activating but after a couple of times it did activate , somehow , i don't remember what i did last time ; but do i need to phone microsoft this time ? i don't think i have that option here

Dethan1999

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
If you have the version (oem i think) that doesn't allow you to activate Windows after changing the Motherboard, you can contact Microsoft support. I spoke with an online chat person and they basically gave me a new activation key! I'm not sure if i got lucky with the support employee, or its the case for everyone. But I recommend it.

jimmyEatWord

Respectable
Mar 10, 2016

no i don't think i bought an OEM cause they were much cheaper on that specific site