Im confused with how framerate works

Bari_1

Prominent
Mar 20, 2017
so i have a rx 480 and a 60hz monitor, when i play lets say overwatch am getting at least 130 fps (minimum) but do i since my monitor is 60hz?

Solution
Your gpu has v-sync, they all do.
Monitors can have freesync or g-sync, which works better than v-sync does to accomplish the same thing, but for higher refresh rates.

Screen tearing only really happens in bad quality monitor panels, so if you don't have it, you don't need to turn on v-sync.

But yes, your GPU is making the 120 frames, but your monitor is only going to show you 60 of them.

Bari_1

Prominent
Mar 20, 2017
so all those extra fps the gpu is outputting on 60hz are not real then? is it better for me to cap it at 60fps or go overboard and let the gpu output as much as it wants

Vsync is to remove tearing not cap fps. If you can avoid it, you want vsync off because it can introduce microstuttering and increase input. It's better to cap fps than to use vsync if you do not have tearing. More fps than what the monitor can show will reduce input lag. There are also other game functions that can be affected by fps, like server polling which happens after each frame. It can also help smooth mouse movements. Those extra frames certainly are real but few may notice the difference.

Bari_1

Prominent
Mar 20, 2017

Ok but why dont i have screen tearing with 200+ fps on my 60hz monitor then when i cap it at 60 fps the screen tearing is quite visible?

Your gpu has v-sync, they all do.
Monitors can have freesync or g-sync, which works better than v-sync does to accomplish the same thing, but for higher refresh rates.

Screen tearing only really happens in bad quality monitor panels, so if you don't have it, you don't need to turn on v-sync.

But yes, your GPU is making the 120 frames, but your monitor is only going to show you 60 of them.

Solution
Only really on bad quality panels? I've seen it all from $70 cheapo monitors, $1k top end 144hz monitors, to $2k ips top end workstation monitors. It has nothing to do with the panel quality. It's all in the fps and how the control board handles the signal.

It really depends on the monitor and the what the time difference is between the sync of the monitor and the GPU. If it's perfectly synced it will just skip frames.

The issue with what you said it the gpu doesn't know when the monitor refreshes with no type of sync on and frame time varies so it will always be out of sync at some time or another. Even when capping fps, it's just a cap and frame time will vary.

But going back to panel quality, it doesn't matter and the control board which handles the signal is what affects it. I might just be seen as being picky but the panel does not include the control board and both combined is what is a display. We see some monitors that share the same panel but have different control boards: ie Asus MG279Q vs Acer XB270HU.