Triple 4k 55 inch TV's, a good idea for PC set up? If so, which TV would be best for this?

TristanKing

Honorable
May 27, 2015
My triple 24 inch, 1080p monitors are looking quite small, low res and boring now, so I've been thinking about the idea of upgrading to triple 4K displays.

For a small size increase and 4K, it doesn't seem worth spending over a grand on monitors however. But triple 55 inch TVs on my wall would effectively be 12 27.5 inch (think that's right) 1080p displays for productivity, and just outright seems like some kinda Minority Report sh*t.
MIS_Ch05-013.jpg

I've seen a few 55 inch 4K TVs under/around £600 (And I wouldn't want to spend much more than that) so I know you can get them, I just don't know if they're any good quality wise, and what possible problems using them with a PC would bring.

I don't care about really low input lag, but I do game every so often so I don't want anything too noticeable. And obviously HDMI 2.0 is necessary for 60fps 4K.

So yeah, any suggestions, advice, or just a slap in the face with reality would be appreciated.

TristanKing

Honorable
May 27, 2015

Just means I have to sit back further, and I already use USB hubs/extensions, and wireless keyboard/mouse/headphones. Also has the added benefit of me being able to sit back on a sofa and still be able to watch something from the other side of the room.

KingReZo

Reputable
Mar 22, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kBLJK4FdfQ

Watch this video and see what you think. He has 3 65" 4k TVs.

One of the problems you'll find is having a GPU powerful enough to run 3 4k monitors. You'll need 2 1080 tis or Titan XPs to run 3 4k monitors. BTW 2 Titan XPs can run 8k and get decent FPS on Crysis 3 so for 3X4k it should be fine.

Another problem is cost, a decent TV is 600-1000 pounds so getting 3 is at 1800-3000 then you'll probably have to upgrade your rig (1200-2000 on GPUs alone) so total costs could be above 3000-5000 pounds... Its not really worth it. Just buy 3 1440p 144hz 27 inch monitors like the PG279Q ROG SWIFT

USAFRet

Titan

Right. and to do it justice and not get whiplash, you'd have to be sitting at at least 20'.
At which distance the typical wireless keyboards and mice have connection issues.

And then of the system required to drive 3x 4k displays.

TristanKing

Honorable
May 27, 2015

For gaming, sure, I'd have to upgrade my GPU to run at a playable FPS. But my 1060 is plenty powerful to run most other programs at native resolution, and I can always bump the resolution of games down to triple 1080p. I'm a self employed software/database developer so the more space the better for numerous programs and websites.
I also may decide to get a single 1080ti if I did get new triple displays. It'd run fine on most of the games I play, just not GPU intensive AAA games.

As for the cost of the TVs. I'd be fine with £1800 if there's no bad downsides over monitors.

If the game lets you adjust angle of view of the camera, you could just crank it up to have a more immersive experience without having to sit so far back. The USAF flight sims I worked on used 3 rear projection screens arranged this way. (The higher-end sins used multiple hexagonal screens arranged as a geodesic hemisphere to give an immersive 180 degree field of view.) If you went this route, I think your problem would be that 55" actually isn't big enough. The screens would have to be so close for the proper angular coverage that your eyes would be focusing nearby, ruining the immersion. VR systems and airliner flight sims (which have a much more limited field of view than USAF flight sims) use a system of lenses or reflectors to project a large image yet put the focus point of the image at infinity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collimated_light#Collimated_displays_in_flight_simulators

I guess what I'm saying in a roundabout way is that if you really want wrap-around immersion, large screens aren't enough (or if the room is dark enough, not even necessary).

Well, maybe 10 feet. Even at that distance though, you probably wouldn't be able to distinguish the difference between 1080p and 1440p, let alone 4k. : D If you kept everything unscaled, to have the desktop area of 12 1080p screens, you wouldn't be able to read text unless you were within a few feet of the displays though, meaning you would likely need to wheel your chair around to move from one screen to the next, and navigating around a 11520x2160 pixel desktop wouldn't exactly be comfortable, and I kind of think it would reduce productivity overall. It's worth pointing out that Windows 10 lets you easily switch between multiple virtual desktops, and tile applications on a single screen, so it might be better just to use one large 4K curved display.

Also, a GTX 1060 is not going to be able to handle three 1080p screens in most modern games, at least not without turning all the graphics settings down on low. Three screens at 720p maybe. A 1080ti would likely handle 3x1080p rather well though.

The displays in Minority Report have the advantage of being fictional devices running a fictional OS, used by fictional people. Even within the context of that movie, those screens would provide a horrible user experience. : P

TristanKing

Honorable
May 27, 2015

"Also, a GTX 1060 is not going to be able to handle three 1080p screens in most modern games" My 1060 handles the majority of games I play in 1080p triple monitor quite fine. GTA V, Doom, ME Catalyst, are probably some of the most intensive games I play, and all run around 45 FPS triple monitor.

Like I said though, I'd be more than willing to grab a GTX 1080 ti if need be.