Pressure Mark on Monitor? "Blurry" "Cloudy" area

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcroger

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
Hey,
I have an Asus ROG Swift PG278Q Monitor, 2560 x 1440 resolution at 144Hz refresh rate. That I've owned for about 2 and a half years now and since it was a big investment for me I've always taken really good care of it. It has been working wonderfully without any problems and still continues to this day, It's a TN panel based LED backlit LCD display. It's never had much backlight bleed and the viewing angles are pretty decent.

However, recently I had my cousins young daughter over and she was in my room. She wanted to watch a video on my computer, and as she was doing so she pressed really hard on my monitor where I even saw the colors distort the image so I immediately told her to stop and took her finger from the monitor, at the time I didn't notice any damage when the colors came back to normal, however the following day when I looked at my monitor I noticed upon a white background or a very bright color you can see there is a difference in shading on a specific region of the monitor. It looks "cloudy" and brighter to the rest of the image of the same exact color. What's strange is that it's not where she pressed on the monitor, it's about an inch or two to the left of where she pressed. On a black or dark color background you don't notice much of the affected region, however it's really noticeable upon a white background and it's really distracting. I've since cleaned my monitor while off with a microfiber cloth and distilled water thoroughly but the affected area remains. Upon close inspection I took a picture and noticed that all the pixels all seem to be there and working correctly. I will attach images.

I've searched online for solutions and fixes to this problem but not much shows up, mostly I find answers to fixes to phone screens, which don't serve much use to me. I did read online of some people with similar issues to mine, I read one that removed the backside of the monitor and used a suction cup behind the affected area to remove the pressure mark, however I would like to avoid going into the territory of opening up my monitor and potentially causing more harm. I've also read someone saying they gently used a suction cup on the front of the monitor, right on the affected area and pulling to remove a pressure mark, I don't know if that would work or if it would even be safe to do. I'm really unsure about doing that as I wouldn't want to make it any worse. I've also read somebody saying that his just went away over a couple of months.

I'd like to know if anybody has any knowledge on this, If this has happened to you guys and the best way of dealing with it. Any sure ways of fixing or methods that I haven't yet heard of?
What's the best way for me to deal with this?
Since I've had this monitor for about 2 and a half years I doubt I still have warranty on it.

Thanks for your input and suggestions.

P.S. The pictures don't do it much justice, it looks way worse in person.

qavDf

JEcJQWR.jpg

aLSxB4h.jpg

0KKHnhM.jpg

f0hG5Cv.jpg

qsO33L0.jpg

Maybe it's more noticeable without the red circle
TKNyBqq.jpg

DSnALx3.jpg

sAOsefl.jpg

Closeup of the pixels
dBEpYuc.jpg

FLCw47M.jpg

Vigillance

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017
mcroger,

In my experience, this indicates that something is letting the light source through the monitor in that one place much easier than the surrounding area.
This could be caused by pressure on the monitor which damages one of the layers between the light source and the display surface, but it usually takes quite a bit of pressure.
It's really hard to suggest anything that could resolve this without taking it apart.

Maybe you could take it to a local repair shop and see if they would be willing to take a look at it for you?
Depending on the price of the monitor, it might cost the same to go out and buy a new one as it does to have it repaired.

mcroger

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013

What about the suction cup method? Do you think that would help restore the damaged layer back to normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.