Spyware/Adware Virus Possibility Win 10

tyty4646

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016
So... I have recently (this month) downloaded a file that I shouldn't have by accident. Ever since, I have been getting popups in Google Chrome every couple of times I click anywhere on a webpage. I also noticed that my computer is overall not running as fast as it did before. My boot times have jumped up from 13 seconds to 20+ seconds, to the point where I can actually see the "Logging in..." page. Some programs have been taking much much longer to launch than before, for example, Chrome used to open in an in-measurably short amount of time, now it takes upwards of 10 seconds.

As far as using antivirus, I have used Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, didn't detect a thing, I have just tried Avira Free Antivirus. I got a different reaction from that one. It found 3 files that I knew were the file I downloaded that I shouldn't have. I removed them from my system completely and restarted multiple times, but nothing changed. Still the slow loading times, on-click popups in Chrome, etc.

I have just decided to resort to another antivirus via. Avira. I would be very thankful for some help other than my own, so the internet is all I have. Thanks.

List: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sVqkcf
Tyler

Solution
I believe you have the Adposhel adware infection. Rerun Malwarebytes, then Adware Cleaner as the others have suggested. After that, you will need to download and run Rogue Killer. It will identify two or possibly more Scheduled tasks which must be deleted as they will keep reinstalling the infection. Lastly, go into Chrome Advanced settings and reset back to defaults. You may also want to run a couple of online scanners such as ESET's or Trendmicro's to ensure it's completely gone.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/roguekiller/

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
It sounds like you are not an experienced/power user or you have not dealt with viruses before. An antivirus may or may not be able to reverse a virus' effects and changes on your system. Actually if you already removed the virus with one AV (one that could clean the virus but not reverse the changes) then a second AV (one that could potentially fix the issues the virus caused) will probably not work because it can't find the virus now, so it doesn't know what it is looking for.

Ideally you have backups of your files, so the only safe way is to format your hard drive and re-install Windows (or whatever OS you are using) from scratch. Otherwise you could find yourself chasing a ghost for a long long time, on a crippled and possibly still compromised system!

A good alternative for the future is to use some sort of imaging software (eg. ShadowProtect, Ghost, Acronis True Home etc...) so if anything happens to your machine you can quickly and safely go back to a stable image without losing any time and above all safely and with peace of mind.

I believe you have the Adposhel adware infection. Rerun Malwarebytes, then Adware Cleaner as the others have suggested. After that, you will need to download and run Rogue Killer. It will identify two or possibly more Scheduled tasks which must be deleted as they will keep reinstalling the infection. Lastly, go into Chrome Advanced settings and reset back to defaults. You may also want to run a couple of online scanners such as ESET's or Trendmicro's to ensure it's completely gone.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/roguekiller/

Solution