Operating System migration

Tom_T1993

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016
-Hi,

I'm currently in the process of upgrading various parts on my build, and was planning on installing Windows 10 on my new M2 SSD.

The issue is, is that to do this in the past, i've used a media creation tool, originally upgrading from a disc based version of Windows 7. Back when the upgrade was free.

What i'm wondering is. if i install windows 10 using a media creation tool again, will i be able to use my product key from Windows 7 like i had last time i installed this os, or am i going to have to buy a fresh copy of windows 10?

The parts i'm upgrading are the motherboard, cpu, and primary disk. Hence why i'm wondering whether windows will require another product key.

Anyone care to shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
If your current version of Windows 10 is post the Anniversary Edition (1607), then you can attach your Windows license to an Microsoft Account as opposed to your hardware (motherboard). Once attached to your MS Account, you can move it to any new hardware you wish.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
If your current version of Windows 10 is post the Anniversary Edition (1607), then you can attach your Windows license to an Microsoft Account as opposed to your hardware (motherboard). Once attached to your MS Account, you can move it to any new hardware you wish.

-Wolf sends

Solution