What's wrong with motherboard manufacturers?!

lightc

Honorable
Sep 30, 2016
What is wrong with the motherboard manufacturers today?!

This is more of a discussion and I'm not seeking for a specific solution, just asking community what's their thoughts about this.

My biggest complaint about motherboards is- where is Display Port? If you look to the mITX board choice today, there are very few options available with DP, and only on Z chipset, no cheaper B or H chipset boards in mITX form factor featuring DP. In bigger form factor, there are few boards, but again, just few.. also few thin mITX, but those are too HTPC oriented, I'd say exclusively for for that only.

This is so backwards thinking from motherboard manufacturers imho, mITX boards are so often used in very compact builds without possibility to add any dedicated graphics card at all, so screen connection options are priority over 2x LAN or PS2 (seriosly???) connectors, but no, all you have is an HDMI with only 1080p res support, unless you're ready to use a screen on 24-30Hz refresh rate.

Intel introduced Display Port support to their Integrated graphics almost 10 years ago, but for some reason, motherboard manufacturers are ignoring the reality and still favours DVI over DP, it even looks like there are more boards with VGA port than there are with DP... really- a VGA in 2017?!

I don't need a fancy gaming board with tacky RGB and other nonsense, all I need, is a small form factor board which I can use nicely with my big hi res screen, but for that, I'm forced to spend twice as much just to have that DP... and tons of other features I'll never use.
And that's not only about DP, there no Thunderbolt connections too, what if I want yo use my PC with new LG screen?

So many complaints about stagnant CPU evolution... but have you looked at motherboard field? They don't offer much of progress too, from last generations, apart jumping from DDR3 to DDR4 (which I don't see any beneficial for any home user anyways), I see only M.2 drive support as a new feature on recent gen chip-sets, nothing else really happened.

Ok, rant over, I hope this wasn't too boring, would like to hear your thoughts about this, why is this happening, why this ignorance from manufactures is going from one generation to another and did we reached the point, where is just option 1- very basic and option 2- all in? Or is just custom market dying so much that manufacturers are forced scumming out money from those who cares?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't buy small motherboards so I don't have an opinion on choices. I do think the priorities are in wrong places if they add lighting over features people need. I don't have a window on case so don't need lights on anything.

I think the features of motherboards are based on the chipsets made by Intel so while they can add new features, its restricted by the number of lanes available on the CPU. No point have 5 or 6 m.2 slots if the CPU doesn't support that many. I know Asus tried a few different things like SATA express but it didn't take off.

Same thing applies to ram support, if the CPU doesn't know how to talk to the ram, its not going to work. Intel holding back motherboard progress as well as CPU evolution as they had no one to compete against. AMD had a lot to play catch up on since their previous chips didn't support a lot Intel already did.

Motherboards try to appeal to as wide a range as possible, so there is no point adding features that only a few operating systems support. They are conservative with releasing new features to cover as many bases as possible.