Complicated Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3 RAM Problems...

vm2707

Prominent
Mar 24, 2017
Hi everyone,

I have built a Ryzen system last week, that includes a Ryzen 1700, Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3 mobo and Geil Potenza DDR4 3000 dual channel RAM kit left over from my previous Intel machine. I actually chose that specific mobo because my RAM is on the QVL list for it and is supposed to run at 2933Mhz with XMP profile enabled according to that list. I was running the RAM at 3k and XMP enabled on my previous Intel system with no issues.

Anyway, to my disappointment I have not been able to get the RAM to work at 2933 with both RAM sticks plugged into the mobo in dual channel mode. Well, I actually tried leaving only one stick in a couple days ago and that didn't help me to get 2933 out of it. I thought I have tried pretty much everything - flashed to the latest beta F6d BIOS, tried disabling XMP, playing with manual timings and voltages, and all without success. The maximum I have squeezed out of the RAM on this system is 2666Mhz at 14-15-15-15-36 and 1.35v.

Today, I tried something different - I removed one RAM stick and placed the other one into different slots, slot by slot, to see if I can get 2933Mhz with XMP working. Lo and behold, I found that I can get the one RAM stick to work perfectly with XMP @ 2933... but only in the B channel - slots B1 or B2. When the RAM stick is placed into either A1 or A2, the PC hesitates to boot - shuts down, boots up again- and then when I enter BIOS, memory speed is reset to 2133... I then tried swapping the RAM sticks and did the same procedure with the other stick - same results. So both can do XMP @ 2933... individually. lol

Ok, so if both single sticks can do XMP @ 2933 in B1 and B2, then I reasoned that the duo placed into B channel only should work at that speed as well... They didn't. As soon as I add the second stick, PC takes its sweet time to boot and then just dumps the speeds to 2133 again... Arghh.

Yeah, I called Gigabyte and AMD. No help there thus far. AMD points me to Gigabyte as the cause of the problem - its mobo issue obviously - while Gigabyte is making a ridiculous claim that my Ryzen chip is somehow responsible for the RAM issues I am having. Basically, they told me that some Ryzen chips may not be able to handle RAM above 2667, which sounds like utter BS to me...

Any ideas guys? Wondering what other combinations of settings and RAM configs I should try out.

Thanks in advance!

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017

Its the motherboard and is being worked on with bios updates, be patient, still early days, im surprised Gigabyte didnt just own up and tell you this, I have the same problem with my board, I have the micro ATX version of your board, recently they had a beta bios for my board F3C, which allowed me to boot both sticks at 2933mhz, but other issues I reported and they pulled the beta.

All motherboard manufacturers are experiencing the same problems, theres a massive AM4 motherboard shortage at the moment, so they are rushing boards out and fixing problems later.

vm2707

Prominent
Mar 24, 2017

I would be perfectly cool with waiting, except that my RAM is on the QVL list for the mobo and that's what really bugs me. I mean, if it's on there - it's gotta work at that speed! Otherwise, what's the point of QVL list?

Plus, how come I can get one stick to work with XMP, but not both? And only in channel B? Something's fishy here! lol

Gonna call Gigabyte again now...