Cannot successfully get Windows Insider program to work

TheDarkOne198

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Doing this here, instead of the Windows forums *shudders*. Anyone with a brain knows the help you usually get there is from other users and not the actual helpers there, with their seemingly scripted responses that never help.

So, here is my problem: I have joined the Insider program and all that and want to use the "slow" channel but the window that is supposed to let you decide which channel to be in, will not show the selection. The "Get Started" button is still there, but it is grayed out. Right under it, it said my account is linked (I even had a second email linked, due to it being linked to hotmail, before Microsoft bought it) and it has no change to anything, I still cannot do anything more. I then unlinked it, thinking I could start over and now the thing showing the linked account is gone and the "get started" button is still disabled. I have not tried a restart, although I don't see how that could matter.

Solution

The Insider track should NOT be used as the primary OS on a primary system, unless you're ready to suffer a total fail.
(and they tell you that)

I agree, patience and plenty of checks for updates and several restarts should get the OP going. It shouldn't take more than a couple of days and a couple of dozen restarts.

u2desire420

Commendable
May 17, 2016
https://www.howtogeek.com/224826/how-to-become-a-windows-insider-and-test-new-windows-10-features/
Things to note is that you must sign into your PC with a Microsoft Account not a Local Account.

TheDarkOne198

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
@Rocky & CaptainCharisma: I had previously had it in the condition where it was how I said it was, with the "get started" link grayed out and the account linked, without the choice of channels, for several months and who knows how many restarts. After unlinking them the other day, I had since only restarted once (more like shut down to upgrade my video card) and so far no change.

@u2desire: I do not use a local accounts, I dont bother. I just disable most of the spying in windows 10 with Anti-Beacon or DWS,although DWS can cripple many things and I recently had to reverse it with a script just to get the windows store to download some apps. Note,I had this problem before I ever found DWS so its not the issue.

then either there is a problem with your account, you never verified you account, or you did not properly re-link it somehow

TheDarkOne198

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

I wonder if its an account problem,as I said,the whole hotmail thing messed with accounts because my microsoft account used one email and my hotmail was,of course separate. When the two "merged",it caused issues. I had similar problems with Skype, after Microsoft decided they would ruin the service for everyone and buy it. Maybe with future restarts, I will be able to link again. Manually going to the Windows Insider website gets me nowhere. Clicking the "get started" link there takes me to the "before you install" page,where I can either click "join the insider program" link that takes me back to the first page, or I can click the "get windows 10" button,which takes me to the page to download "Windows10Upgrade9592",which when used,simply says "thank you for using windows 10",meaning I already have it. OR.on the home page,I can click the "get creaters update" which takes me to a step by step instructions,saying to click the "get started" button in the windows settings app, or clicking "get started here" on that page,bringing me back to the Insider home page,coming full circle yet again. IDK,maybe I didnt set it up right originally. Hopefully I can try to link it again later on. Will keep progress here posted though.

if you're using one account to log into the computer and another to enroll into the insider program then odds are that's the problem. you need to link and verifythe account you enrolled in the insider program to windows 10 and use that to log into the computer going forward

TheDarkOne198

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
crap,sorry I clicked best solution by accident. Oh well,I am about ready to give up as it is. I had already confirmed my login to windows is the same as the login to the insider program site and was the one it listed on the windows settings app,before I unlinked it. I may as well just get updates normally like a normal user,haha.

TheDarkOne198

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

Not of any help,since the "Get Started" link in the windows settings app is still dark and not working. Maybe its better to not get it,I am curious about new things coming but this is my everyday computer so any issues brought up may be annoying,though I am sure a restore point would fix that.

USAFRet

Titan

The Insider track should NOT be used as the primary OS on a primary system, unless you're ready to suffer a total fail.
(and they tell you that)

Solution

TheDarkOne198

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

I have read,but how big of a total fail could there be? Something like a BSOD/restart loop? I would choose the slow track,I wouldnt think that choice would be so problematic. I guess its best I avoided it after all.

USAFRet

Titan

It is a permanent rolling beta.
It might hose up some other application or hardware. It might hose itself.

I ran the Insider from literal day one when it was released. But on a secondary laptop. If something weird happened, I'd have just done a wipe and reinstall.
I wouldn't do it on my main system.

TheDarkOne198

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

I may try it on my old Core 2 Duo laptop. I barely use it anymore and its painfully slow in most respects anyway. May as well get something out of it and as you said,I can just do a reinstall on it if things go awry.