BenQ XL2430 vs. Asus PG248Q?

JasonJJJ

Honorable
Oct 19, 2015

What would the warranty have to do with it?

-

mungrymungry

Prominent
Mar 23, 2017

Frankly nowadays if you are looking at 144hz gaming regardless of resolution, I'd throw in my lot with nvidia. Unless you intend to find two or three r9 fury x's to crossfire and somehow have the space for three 120mm rads, I'd go without a freesync monitor. Not to mention that most local service providers will have a decent warranty time regardless of monitor, though it might be the largest deciding factor-do note that if it is the only monitor in your system that you will be down and out for the count if you do decide to rma either product. That said, online reviews of the product and more research done by yourself would propably help regardless of my or anyone else's words on this forum.

Then again since it is I that is giving the advise or contributing to the discussion, I would wholeheartedly reccomend the Asus. If you find a cheap deal for it on Amazon or Newegg (any less then 600usd) then go for it, otherwise the PG279Q at ~780usd is more worth the money. At 1440p 165Hz the 27 inch monitor justifies its price premium by virtue of the specs said previously, instead of being TN and 144hz which can be found on many cheaper monitors, including Asus' own VG248QE at 230usd on Amazon. Paying double the money for gsync? Frankly it's ridiculous, as for 460 you could have bought two displays in the place of the single PG248Q. But if you have enough recources to purchase the PG279Q I sincerely implore you to make that buy-a GTX1070 would be adequate to drive the display, but something closer to the 1080 would be more ideal as 1440p >120hz is not an easy task regardless of the game. I hope this finds you in good health and proves somewhat of a help!

JasonJJJ

Honorable
Oct 19, 2015

Thanks mungrymungry. I can get the Asus for $320 (refurbished) and the BenQ for $270 (refurbished) so it's not much of a difference in price. I guess what it comes down to is how much better would the Asus be than the BenQ, and would it be better?

-

JasonJJJ

Honorable
Oct 19, 2015

The Asus warranty would only be 3 months unfortunately since it's refurbished.

-

mungrymungry

Prominent
Mar 23, 2017

Depending on your setup I'd go with the Asus, given that the monitor you receive is defect free. If it is possible to preview the condition of the monitor or receive some form of warranty for a limited amount of time from the seller would be good. Since you have managed to find the Asus for such a low price I would be more wary when purchasing the item but otherwise would wholeheartedly support your choice to buy the PG248Q. G-sync vs none and 180hz vs 144hz is nothing small to scoff at, and if you have anything close to a gtx1070 it should be more than sufficient to drive most games at well over 120hz on the monitor. Generally Asus has solid build quality and has a more premium feel than other products (don't quote me on this it came from Linus' mouth) and if the monitor is a good refurbished unit then you've got a good deal on your hands.

No but I've sold both brands of monitors, from a selling perspective the ASUS models are considered a higher end models than BenQ. If they are the same price the ASUS is more feature rich so I'd get that model.

mungrymungry

Prominent
Mar 23, 2017

Thats what i said m8

JasonJJJ

Honorable
Oct 19, 2015

I have the ASUS PG248Q and the BenQ XL2430 hooked up to my comp right now. The colors on the BenQ are definitely better (the whites are white on the BenQ while the whites on the Asus are more grey). Also, the fonts when browsing the internet are better on the BenQ (due to the BenQ having a "Sharpness" option (I don't see the Asus having a "sharpness" option)). With that said, I did notice that the game felt a little smoother on the Asus due to G-Sync. My FPS is exactly the same on both monitors (it fluctuates between 100 fps - 109 fps) and I'm not seeing tearing or stutter on either monitor.

I really just don't know where to go from here to be honest when it comes to choosing the right monitor. I wish there weren't so many options or if there was just one clear choice (one monitor stood out as being the best). I just want a good monitor to game on.

-

mungrymungry

Prominent
Mar 23, 2017

You should really consult online as to how to calibrate each monitor-it's definitely not the monitor that is the issue, is is just that you are not putting in enough time to do either one justice. I know for a fact that the manu for the Asus is extensive, and the RGB settings are easily reached, so get to it man. I expect you back here with good news. And of course you are seeing the same fps on each monitor-the resolutionis the same, so why on earth would you be expecting the monitor to affect fps?? If anything your pc is the bottleneck here. Upgrade to a GTX1070 STRIX to game at 120hz and above. Get it seriously, otherwise you do the Asus no justice.

JasonJJJ

Honorable
Oct 19, 2015

I'm using a GTX 970 with 16 gig ram and an i7 at 4.5mhz. The fonts are clearly better on the BenQ and the colors are better as well from what I have seen so far in my comparison. I have been doing a lot of research on PG248Q color calibration and in doing so I'm finding other posts from people who are having color issues with the PG248Q. So far, I have not been able to find a suggestion for calibrating the PG248Q color better than what it currently is. With that said, it's not a bad monitor at all. I just haven't noticed a huge difference between running G-sync vs. non-G-sync.

-