windows 10 time is always wrong after turning it on in the morning

erzmah

Prominent
Mar 25, 2017
My date is usually correct, but my time is always wrong. this started last week Saturday where my laptop wasn't switch on for a day or 2, that was when my time and my date was both wrong. the date was 1 day back and the time is a few hours back as well. This happens every time i turn on my laptop in the morning after 11-12 hours, if it is 11-12 hours since i last used the laptop the time would be wrong by 1-9 hours, if it is over a day or 2 since i last used it the time would be affected so badly that the date would be wrong by 1 day.

i have reset my windows 10 with the option to keep my files.

I resync the time and date: Setting > date and time > off set time automatically > on set time automatically, this worked until i switch on in the morning (the set time automatically was on before i offed it to resync the time.) My set time zone automatically is off if that is a problem. it is also not adjusted for daylight saving time. (i do not think it is the cmos battery problem)

I have also synchronize with an internet time server using time.windows.com, which works until i turn it on in the morning.

I did tried to change my windows time from services.msc, from manual to automatic. i am not sure if i am doing that right as once i reboot my laptop the start up type change back to manual ?

So what should i do ?

side note : if this makes a difference, i do not have my laptop battery plug in as the battery wasn't working since way back, doubt it makes a difference as i recently just notice the time error.

Solution

what...

ryanspringfield

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
This is normally caused by a dead bios backup battery, you can make sure by going into bios on boot (to enter bios it's different for every manufacturer but F2 or F10 seem to be the general consensus) if the bios shows a wrong date/time, then you have to change the bios battery which is normally a Cr2032 pill battery. Hope that helps.
P.s. probably on your machine it requires a backplate cover removal to reach the battery, in other laptop models an access hatch is offered for ease of replacement.

ryanspringfield

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

This is normally caused by a dead bios backup battery, you can make sure by going into bios on boot (to enter bios it's different for every manufacturer but F2 or F10 seem to be the general consensus) if the bios shows a wrong date/time, then you have to change the bios battery which is normally a Cr2032 pill battery. Hope that helps.
P.s. probably on your machine it requires a backplate cover removal to reach the battery, in other laptop models an access hatch is offered for ease of replacement.

erzmah

Prominent
Mar 25, 2017
Sorry for the late reply.

I dont think it is my bios battery as my laptop can retain the correct timing for about 3 hours after power down (AC power adapter off), i was told that bios battery doesn't last more than 2 minutes without power source if it was a failing cmos battery. Also my laptop is able to maintain the correct timing if i were to left the AC power adapter on after i switch off my laptop.

My laptop doesn't detect my laptop battery since quite a while back since maybe 12-16 months ago, so i removed it and ever since my laptop is just purely running on AC adapter power.
So could it be the bios battery, timer chip or my motherboard leaking power (as my friend randomly suggested) ?

I'm using a Asus s46cb btw.

ryanspringfield

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

what you describe is exactly bios battery! now with the additional info in your reply i'm 99% it's bios battery. without bios battery, it's true in less than 2 minutes your date and user settings will be gone, but that is if the battery is totally removed not weak but still in. you said "y laptop can retain the correct timing for about 3 hours after power down" this is why i'm now more convinced it's your bios battery causing the problem: bios batteries are meant to retain time and date for months and years when no power is connected. the simple fact that it's only able to retain the time for just 3 hours is indicator enough that bios battery is very weak, almost out.
please mark this solution as the answer if your problem is indeed solved.

Solution