How do i fresh install windows without a disk or usb.

JR0702

Prominent
Mar 25, 2017
How do i fresh install windows without a disk or usb.
I have lost my windows cd and i want to do a fresh install of windows but i dont want to do it if i need a code that is with the disk or the disk its self.

Solution
If your running Windows 10 now you can just download the ISO with Media Creation tool and mount it with Windows 10 and run the Setup.exe. There will be a point after you run setup that it will ask you if you want to keep apps and/or personal files you can just uncheck both and it will do a clean install.

chetmaster12

Honorable
Jan 19, 2015
You definitely need a product code, which should be with the CD (or at least the case it came in). Sometimes the product code sticker is put onto the case itself. If you have the product code, you can download Windows (it will ask for a code in all likelihood before letting you download it), then you can create a bootable USB using Rufus. But this solution only works if you have the product code, since you will need it to do the install.

Otherwise, you either have four options:
1. Leave it as it is
2. Find the CD
3. Buy a new copy of Windows
4. Switch to Linux
5. Find a way to extract the product key from your existing install. I've never done it, but I believe there are programs to do it.

JR0702

Prominent
Mar 25, 2017

I will try to find the disk then but do i need the usb or is there a way to do it without the disk or usb???
Thanks for your help as well!

JR0702

Prominent
Mar 25, 2017

So will that give me a fresh install without having to use a disk usb or code since i have a legit copy already installed??
Thanks for your help as well!

chetmaster12

Honorable
Jan 19, 2015

Right, I forgot they've been tying it to hardware and moving away from keys. I still haven't moved to 10 yet.

u2desire420

Commendable
May 17, 2016
If your running Windows 10 now you can just download the ISO with Media Creation tool and mount it with Windows 10 and run the Setup.exe. There will be a point after you run setup that it will ask you if you want to keep apps and/or personal files you can just uncheck both and it will do a clean install.

Solution

JR0702

Prominent
Mar 25, 2017

Ah ok cheers

chetmaster12

Honorable
Jan 19, 2015

I'm still on 7. I'll upgrade when I have to, but gaming is low on my priority list. And I'm not too keen on Windows 10's privacy issues. I got a free key from an old system at some point. Really though, I use Linux more than anything now.

USAFRet

Titan

Most of that same 'privacy' stuff has been backported to Win 7 & 8.

But to install Win 7, you must have a DVD or USB.
If you know the license key, you can download the Win 7 ISO here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

Without the license key, you might be out of luck.
If the system still runs, you can use Belarc Advisor to discover the Windows license key.