I want to be a computer technician

magicammo

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2014
Hey what's up everyone I've wanted to make a change in my life and I've decided I want that change to be my workplace. I am currently 23 years old and have been working as a security guard for 3 years and I just want a change.

It's been almost 4 years since I've built my very first PC and I've built many others from then till now and that's what I want to do when it comes to computers the information just sticks with me compared to other things I have learned. I don't know everything there is to know about the subject there's always more to learn but I know that I know enough in this particular subject to succeed.

All I know is I'd like to be a computer technician I just don't know how to go about getting a job in the field. I know that they aren't the best paying jobs but compared to what I'm being paid now it's a hell of a lot better and getting experience is most important for me.

If anyone could give me some advice that would be awesome. I've been part of this forum for a long time and I know there's a lot of you who probably do this type of thing for a living. I've learned a lot from you guys and by actually doing things on my own. So just need some advice for my next steps thanks bros

Solution
You might want to try and define 'computer technician' as it is a very generic term. I.T is a massive area. You need to narrow it down a bit.

As you say there will be plenty of people on this foum who are working in this area for a living. I think I would be a fairly typical example of one.

I spent 6 years in education after finishing secondary school (High school) here in the UK and got a computer science degree, and some other qualifications in coding, and microelectronics. Like most people in this area of employment I spent my childhood interested in computing, and taught my self programming languages growing up.

It is a competitive area to get a job in, so qualifications would be the place to start I guess.

Good luck.

Lee-m

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
You might want to try and define 'computer technician' as it is a very generic term. I.T is a massive area. You need to narrow it down a bit.

As you say there will be plenty of people on this foum who are working in this area for a living. I think I would be a fairly typical example of one.

I spent 6 years in education after finishing secondary school (High school) here in the UK and got a computer science degree, and some other qualifications in coding, and microelectronics. Like most people in this area of employment I spent my childhood interested in computing, and taught my self programming languages growing up.

It is a competitive area to get a job in, so qualifications would be the place to start I guess.

Good luck.

Solution