Did I buy the wrong ram? Looks underclocked

Myles101

Prominent
Mar 14, 2017
I bought a Asus z270e motherboard and put in 4 x 8gb CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) CMK16GX4M2B3200C16R in it.

I don't think I'm getting the full performance out of my ram. I enabled the XMP but it still shows 2133mhz status for the sticks. In the memory info area does show 32gb and 3297 mhz.

Am I getting the 3297mhz or only 2133mhz? Did I buy the wrong ram?

Thank you for your help!

Check Asus to make sure you have the latest bios? From the pic you posted it looks like the RAM you bought is 2133 Mhz, or your board is unable to read your RAM properly, or is reporting what your processor is technically rated to support, possibly. You could use a program eg CPU-Z and see what it reports, as well. Though using your bios to make sure your XMP profile is enabled shouldn't be a problem if you're using the right bios version.

Myles101

Prominent
Mar 14, 2017
I'll try and update the BIOS and see if that helps. If you google the ram I bought it says 3200 mhz. I thought ram was universal and then I saw this and started questioning it.

There's nothing wrong with your ram. It's running @3297mhz.

Just check CPU-Z before going into updating BIOS.
You update BIOS only, if there's an issue, that update is supposed to fix. You don't do it without a solid reason.
If you do it wrong or power goes out in the middle, your board is bricked.

^^^ What Skynet said. If you bought DDR4 RAM @ 3200Mhz, that's what it should be. Your CPU likely only supports 2133Mhz DDR4 RAM technically, which looks like what is being listed in the top of your pic. Exceeding that speed depends on your motherboard. Confirming your XMP profile is set to your specification in your motherboard's bios should show you the speed you set it at, as well as the RAM's timings (which there is no reason to believe it is not). As mentioned earlier and above, you can also use a tool such as CPU-Z to do the same if doing so in the bios options is something you'd rather not mess with.

^ ^ What Sky said. If you're wondering why you're seeing 1648Mhz where it says DRAM frequency instead of 3297, it's because you're neglecting to multiply the number shown by two, i.e. failing to take the double data rate (ddr) type of ram you're using into account. Far as I know anyhow