Native Screen Resolution

jomarsison422

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015
hi guys!
i just want to ask something, my native screen resolution is 1600x900. my videocard is gtx 760.
ive been playing most games at 1600x900. but some games are laggy. so i've decided to run it on 1280x720. but i really noticed a big difference. maybe because im used to playing at native resolution.
my question is, if i bought a 32 inches 720p tv, will it still look blurry like my current monitor? or will it look much better because the tv has the native resolution of 1280x720 unlike my monitor who can display 1600x900?

Solution
Your eyes might make a difference with this as well... as stated, some see 1080p as looking bad if it's on a screen over 24 inches.

I do 1080p on a 27 inch monitor (native), and I think it looks great, but my eyesight can't pick out the tiny details as easily.

My ex-gf would plug her laptop into the 60 inch TV and we thought it looked pretty good. We're both nearsighted, though.

I would suggest that, if at all possible, if you know someone with a 32 inch 720p monitor, bring your PC there and try it out. Everyone's got a different perception of what looks good vs what looks bad.
be better getting a gpu that can handle 1600 x 900

a 32 inch tv wont look sharper at 1280 x 720 whether its the native resolution or not

its a bigger screen so at 1280 x 720 going to look worse than your current monitor

TVs are meant to be viewed from further away than monitors at the further distance they dont look so bad

"...will it look much better because the tv has the native resolution of 1280x720 unlike my monitor who can display 1600x900?"
Yes.
When computers have to scale the resolution to something other than the screen's native resolution typically you can expect it to look lower quality than it would for the screen's native resolution.

It does. But the monitor automatically resets the resolution to 1080p input source when I connect the PS4's HDMI output to it.
So running a 1440p monitor at non-native 1080p looks like crap. Now my PC game in-game resolution settings running lower than 1440p settings are a different story. :)

^^Oh sure! I was just making a point about using a monitor (PC monitor or HDTV) at it's non-native resolution. You are making a point about DPI which is also valid. Like you said, 24" is getting close to the maximum for 1080p (I have a 25.5" 1920x1200 Samsung monitor that looks like fine to the eyes). I've used a 27" 1080p monitor and it feels like running 720p. That 32" 1080p TV looks like 480p on my PC. Older people with bad eyes may like that though.

his question was kind of two fold so your at the non native resolution answers that part

mine was more addressed at using a 32 inch tv as a monitor at relatively low resolutions--ie 1080p or less

so wasnt saying your answer was wrong or anything just that i wouldnt recommend them getting a 32 inch tv and expecting it to be sharp

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Your eyes might make a difference with this as well... as stated, some see 1080p as looking bad if it's on a screen over 24 inches.

I do 1080p on a 27 inch monitor (native), and I think it looks great, but my eyesight can't pick out the tiny details as easily.

My ex-gf would plug her laptop into the 60 inch TV and we thought it looked pretty good. We're both nearsighted, though.

I would suggest that, if at all possible, if you know someone with a 32 inch 720p monitor, bring your PC there and try it out. Everyone's got a different perception of what looks good vs what looks bad.

Solution