Suggestion: Storage solution for my needs??

mwc104

Prominent
Mar 27, 2017
I'm in need of a solution for storing all my media (pics, videos, etc..). My ideal solution would be a FreeNAS system in the future, but right now I don't have the funds to build the extravagant NAS box I would like.

I currently have my main PC with a shared secondary HDD. My wife accesses it and saves stuff to it, but I don't trust it's reliability as it is getting aged. I could continue on that way, but my wife does a lot of stuff on the go/during her breaks at work. Recently, she took her external HDD to work and dropped it, causing the heads to crash. She would be tickled with something she could access from anywhere. I prefer the hardware be on my side of things as I don't like having my files sitting on some other provider's cloud.

With that said, what would be a reliable NAS with cloud capabilities that is relatively easy to setup, maintenance, and not cost an arm and a leg?

**Edit** I think I'd need at least 4TB for the NAS

mwc104

Prominent
Mar 27, 2017

Nope. It was an HDD to replace her old HDD. Luckily a lot (not all) was still on the old HDD. She more or less feels incompetent to possess any electronic device that stores important files. Figured a remote accessible HDD at our house would be great.